cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Slow speeds morning and night

N/A

Is anyone else experiencing really slow speeds first thing in the morning and late at night?

Using various Bandwidth tests - including +nets, my max speed is 180kbps!!!
That is a long way off 512.

This seems to happen everyday between 9am-12pm and 10pm-12am. Does anyone else have same problem at same times?

I know it could be down to the contention being used fully - but even if 20 ppl were all downloading at the same time (rare i think) and doing it everyday at the same time (damn near impossible)...even with all that I should get better speeds that 180!!

So is there a problem with +net servers, hubs, routers, datapathways? specifically at these times?

I really dont think it can be down to just my contention.

Also another question - do business ever share the same contention with home users?

I know you will prob ask for a traceroute - and I will get one if you want - but this happens with ALL web pages I use - and ALL other internet services. I dont think it is down to some rogue router loosing packets.

any ideas? :?
16 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Your problems may just be down to a general slow down of internet traffic.

You will need to provide traceroutes. PlusNet normally ask for ones to yahoo.com and bbc.co.uk do these at the busy times and also at the quieter times and compare the results. Also download an ISO image file from ftp.mirror.ac.uk (I think that's the correct address) and see what data transfer rate you are given.
Use the Contact Us wizard to provide them with this information and they will then investigate.

Chris
N/A

IF it is contention the minimum speed you should get is 20KB/sec, is the other 49 are downloading at full speed. If you get lower than that there is a problem somewhere.

Recently ive been having trouble with my ping time, where it went sky-high, but ONLY at certain times. Surprisingly, defragmenting the hard drive fixed the problem. Maybe it will fix yours too. Give it a try

Dave
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Slow downs for me happen at certain times most already highlighted at peak times, but also you have to remember when large games/utility patches/updates are released the net will slow down.

One in particular, on the release of the UT2003 demo the Web slowed by 30% Worldwide. Simply down to the number of people wanting it, clogging the net with the downloads.

I have been using the net for the last 6 years, mostly 56k lately DSL and have listened to the people that have been using it for 10 or more and we are seeing what they experience over 5 years ago. When DSL/cable started to slow down in the US. It's nothing new, just supply and demand. Starts off fast but when demand out strips supply you get a slow down.
Unvalued customer since 2001 funding cheap internet for others / DSL/Fibre house move 24 month regrade from 8th May 2017
N/A

i defrag HD quite often so I know its not that.

Also my contention rate should be 20:1 not 50:1.

As for 'slow net traffic' - this is IMO a myth. I have never experienced world wide slow net traffic. For the last year I was using Blue Yonder 512k Cable - and never once did I experience slow net traffic.

I am an IT tech by proffession and have heard all kinds of myth about Net traffic. I agree when certain updates/programs etc are released then certain sites that supply them will be slow - but this will no way have an effect on the whole of the Net. I have worked with Government funded schemes regarding BB and the like and know for a fact the Net on a whole has a huge reserve when it comes to traffic. There are bottlenecks out there sure, but nothing can be released, bar a super-efficient email virus or SQL slammer virus that can really slow net traffic on a whole.

What I am talking about here is a daily slow down for a constant period at set times- something I have not seen before - esp when using cable. Only since having to use ADSL and +net have I seen this. When using cable speeds were constantly high all day everyday. I appreciate 'peak' times can get slower - but with a contention of 20:1 it should not be this noticable - esp in the hours I have mentioned.

Also nobody seems to be able to answer this question - maybe someone from tech support can - do business users ever share the same contention as home users?Huh
N/A

Agreed, I had a NTL broadband connection for over a year and the speed was consistent at all times - except for overloaded sites which were few and far between.

Since switching to ADSL following a house move the speeds, log-on time and general reponsiveness of the connection are not at the same level of consistancy. Cable is clearly a better technical solution, although not by much.
Ianwild
Grafter

Also nobody seems to be able to answer this question - maybe someone from tech support can - do business users ever share the same contention as home users?Huh

Yep - ADSL is simply contended against 20:1 and 50:1 DSLAMs at the exchange. Whether a connection is to residential or commercial premises is not taken into account.

See www.adslguide.org/howitworks for the lowdown.
N/A

setting max .mtu to 1458 & Rwin to 12762 improved my connection speed dramatically. if you have'nt already done so, try the adsl optimiser from plus net or another optimiser programme.
N/A

poor speeds

hi all i no what you are going though my internet is very slow great when i first installed it but now its no better than dial up choose a beter isp you get what you pay for bp band ant up to mucth iff you ask me i dont no iff any one gets pc utilites computer mag but in the next issue its all to do with getting the most out of broadband http://www.livepublishing.co.uk its on sale around june the 14th good mag cool people check it out

regards gareth
N/A

Is this an SMS text forum ??
Better ISP ?? - there are far more worse but not a lot better.
I have seen no slow downs that cannot be attributed to overloaded servers or bad routers.
No better than 56K ?? - Even in a worst case scenario with the other 49 users running at maximum download bandwith (50:1 contention) you will never get down to 56k speeds (48kbps).
N/A

In a worst case scenario, you would only get 10 kbps! See http://www.adslguide.org/howitworks/contention.asp.

Tim
N/A

Ok, I stand corrected on the maths side - 500 /50 = 10kbs
However, to reach this the other 49 users on your DSLAM must be doing something like, all be running P2P with umpteen connections active.
"Worst case" may not have been the right phrase to use.
Typically, a 56K connection would give 4 to 5 kbps
Ianwild
Grafter

HI,

The reality here is that Cable and ADSL are equally 'contended' in certain areas of the country. Just because you got fast Cable and slower ADSL in your premises is no indication of the relevant merits of the different technologies. The Blueyonder/NTL forums reveal plenty of people complaining about speed...

As it happens, I have a Blueyonder AND an ADSL Connection at home. In all honesty I can't pick between them in terms of speed, service or reliability. I achieve consistantly fast downloads from both services, and haven't experianced any significant problems with either connection. That is the same experiance as many others who have found ADSL perfectly reliable and fast. As I say, this depends a lot on where you live - If there are a lot of cable users sharing your local cab it may well slow down, as it would if there were a lot of users sharing an exchange. In both cases, where there is a problem like this, the Telco (Be it BT or a cable company) will normally schedule capacity upgrades to negate the problem, because even though the service they sell is advertised as Contended, the provision of true 'broadband' is a big political issue and no one wants to be seen as the party pooper just yet.

If anyone is getting below standard speeds on ADSL, it is essential that once you have completed the MTU tweaking and ruled out a local problem, you raise the problem to us so we can pass it onto BT. They may not be the fastest to resolve this, but if the problem is contention at exchanges they have in my experiance provided additional Backhaul and capacity upgrades that have negated the effects and improved service for everyone.

With Regards to MTU tweaking, the following is re-produced courtesy of ADSLGuides Tam, who has done a lot of work in this area. This is relevant only to 512k ADSL Connections:

---
Do the following on one of your machines to compare ...

Download and run this http://www.dslreports.com/front/DRTCP021.exe

The settings i use are as follows
Tcp Recieve Window "13900"
Windows scaling "Default"
Time Stamping "Default"
Selective Acks "Default"
Dial Up (RAS) MTU "1430"
Path MTU Discovery "Default"
Black Hole Detection "Default"
Max Duplicapte Acks " Left blank! "
TTL "Left Blank!"

Under Adapter Settings - The MTU is "1430" for all cards listed ...

Then SHUTDOWN and TURN OFF your PC leave for 20 seconds and boot up again...

---
N/A

thanks for the info Ian. Have used ur little prog.

speeds seem to be ok for the last few days - so all good hopefully!!

Tongue Cheesy :lol: :!:
Community Veteran

I recently reinstalled one of my machines and forgot to change the MTU again.
Done it yesterday and I noticed a vast difference.

Chris