cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Slow speeds fro 8mb connection

N/A

I don't seem to get any decent speed. I have noticed it slowing signficantly in the last 3/4 weeks (and also down more often than it used to be - it wasn't working this morning) but having just run a speed test from your site it is no worse that it used to be but at less than 1 mb its rather a pathetic rate.

Help!

PS I am not technically minded so don't undertsand all the terminology used (I have read the other comments on 8 mb speed) so don;t ask me about upstream / downstream / line speeds etc
7 REPLIES
Boriss
Dabbler

We have just gone over to 'NOT' 8MB service. We have been in contact with PN about our abysmal speeds. According to them, this is due to the contention ratio at our local exchange(we are just under 1km from it). This is BS of course, as we have friends around the corner (less than 100m away) who get 6MB plus with AOL. And some others a little further away, about 250m, who get up 12MB with Be(LLU). It is peculiar how the contention ratio only applies to PN customers. :shock:
Community Veteran
Fixes: 6

Yes thats right, it really is the contention ratio.... which only applies to PN customers. All the other people in the area are actually connected to thin-air powered by the space-time continuum - Thats why they all get normal speeds.

Rather strange isn't it how PN always blame BT for issues which exist only for PN customers. It's like all the exchanges always being red - They're simply trying to fob us off with excuses knowing full well that some customers will actually beleive it - and a few will because they do not know any better.

PN have put a lot of thought into how they play this war on the customer.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
kreynolds
Grafter

This is BS of course, as we have friends around the corner (less than 100m away) who get 6MB plus with AOL. And some others a little further away, about 250m, who get up 12MB with Be(LLU). It is peculiar how the contention ratio only applies to PN customers. :shock:

Rather strange isn't it how PN always blame BT for issues which exist only for PN customers. It's like all the exchanges always being red

Not necessarily true.

Contention at the exchange has a lot to do with the speed which you see. If your exchange is showing as red then it means that the Virtual Paths are essentially full and that all the ADSL subscribers will be vying for the same data paths as you. This is BT's problem and gets fixed when BT get around to doing it. My exchange had been on red for over 6 months with the ETA Fix date being put back each month.

Another factor in speed is the length of the line between your property and the exchange. This is measured by the cable run and not by 'as the crow flies' or most obvious route. It is known for people living directly opposite tan exchange to see speeds lower than those who live 1km from the exchange purely because their's is the last property before the cable returns to the exchange. For example me to exchange as the crow flies is 500m, driving by direct route is 0.998 km my cable run is 1.1km

Quality of line will also affect the speed. There are still many cable runs which use aluminium cable and terminations into the cabinets between the property and exchange which is not the best medium for a digital signal but is fine for voice which is all BT are concerned about. Eventually all aluminium cable runs will get replaced as BT goes optical to residential properties but this will not be anytime soon.

Boriss, your friends who are on the BE service will see a higher speed on LLU then you do with BT because their line is terminated into BE's own equipment and doesn't go through the BT DSLAMS thereby avoiding the BT VP's at the exchange.
N/A

Complaints about slow speed are by no means exclusive to PlusNet, searchs of forums like ThinkBroadband will rapidly show customer disatisfaction with almost all ISP's. PlusNet use the same infrascture as everyone else, and so experience the same problems, but have a responsive Customer Service department who will make a concerted effort to deal with your issue if reported to them. I wish I could say the same of the other major ISP's out there.

Technically speaking, there's not a great deal to add to kreynolds excellent post, other than the fact that there are usually multiple Virtual Paths at an exchange, and that neighbouring houses could easily be connected to a different one, seeing completely different speed performance as a result- even if on the same ISP.

The exchange status will be red if a single VP is over capacity so some users can still find themselves connected to a red exchange and get good download speeds. In this respect the status of your exchange can only be used as an indicator of what may be causing your problem, rather than a definitive cause, but is certainly worth checking here if your speeds seem a bit low.

If you are having speed related issues I'd strongly advise you perform a BT Speedtest to check your IP Profile (see here for help doing this). The IP Profile is the speed BT feel is the maximum stable speed that can be supported by your line and is not controlled by PlusNet. The highest IP Profile that can be assigned to a standard BT line is 7150kbps, and the profile assigned to your line will depend on the line length, material, modem used, your interal wiring and external noise sources.

Not all users will be able to acheive the maximum 7150kbps profile, especially those that live a long way from their exchange.

The BT Speedtester gives you three important pieces of information about your line for troubleshooting purposes-
1. The IP Profile, if the IP Profile is much lower than the sync speed reported (there will always be small differences as the IP Profile can only be set to a small range of discrete values) then BT have reduced this due to noise events or disconnections on your line. See this tutorial on how you can try to prevent this by improving your internal wiring.
2. If the sync speed itself is lower than expected then this may be a sign of a fault with the exchange equipment, your line, your equipment or your internal wiring. The initial step should be to run through the wiring tutorial as this is often the easiest way to improve your sync speed. If the tutorial doesn't help, swap the filters used by your modem and connect it directly to the test socket without using extension cables. If possible swap the modem for a friend or neighbours to test if the sync speed increases.
If the sync speed doesn't increase then try dialing 17070 from a wired phone connected directly to a micro-filter in your test socket and select option 2, if you can hear someone else's conversation, hissing, static, buzzing or beeping then change the filter and try again. If the noise is still there then this is a line fault and should be reported to BT by dialling 150. Do NOT mention broadband as BT will immediately refer this to Openreach before dealing with the line noise that is probably the cause of the problem in the first place.
3. The throughput achieved during the test can also be helpful to users troubleshooting slow browsing speeds. If this appears significantly faster than a MyBroadbandSpeed speed test carried out immediately afterwards then you may need to tweak your RWIN and MTU settings in order to improve your browsing speed. I won't explain it here as it's a fairly complicated topic, but this guide should help.
Boriss
Dabbler

Here's our speedtester result:

est1 comprises of Best Effort Test: -provides background information.
IP profile for your line is - 2500 kbps
DSL connection rate: 448 kbps(UP-STREAM) 5728 kbps(DOWN-STREAM)
Actual IP throughput achieved during the test was - 2185 kbps.

Our router is on the best quality splitter and lead I could get, right by the master socket. The exchange checker tells us that there is nothing wrong with our exchange, so the contention problem PN told us about, doesn't add up.

I think there is only one fly in this ointment.
kreynolds
Grafter

Looking at the IP profile and the download synch rate it would seem that BT have reduced your profile due to either noise or disconnections. Have you tried the quiet line test as lestones has suggested and was the line quiet?

Presuming that you have found no noise on your line has the synch been stable at 5728 for more than 3 days? If so you could try rebooting your router once or twice a day in order to update the IP profile (don't reboot more the router more than twice a day otherwise BT will see this as disconnects and reduce your profile further). You should see an increase in speed within a few days as the delta reports are updated.

[Moderator's note by Jonathan (Chillypenguin): Italic tags fixed..]
Boriss
Dabbler

Thanks, I'll give it a try. A few nights ago the line was dropping every ten minutes, all evening - I presumed BT were doing something. It had stopped by the morning, and we were prewsented with this assessment of the line.

[Moderator's note by Jonathan (Chillypenguin): Full quote of previous post removed.]