cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Slow speeds again

mike001
Grafter

Slow speeds again

Is traffic shaping in place already? read on :-)
Ok, this is starting to make sense now. I was on a 1meg connection and the connection was rock solid. Now, since my upgrade, it is at times slower than my old 1meg and at times much slower...looking back thro the forum it seems to me that speed problems were starting to happen at the same time as a lot of pepole started to quick jump with ther £15 upgrades and then people started to get ther free upgrades. Some people were starting to see slowdown on 1 or 2 of plusnets pipes now this (maybe) would have been the load balancing and the two pipes would have been filled to capacity but the 3rd pipe was just about ok (which would be why +plusnet keep telling pepole to reboot to get them back on the uncongested pipes).
Now it just might be that the 3rd is now running close to capacity but the new equipment they have is restricting it. ie: introducing contention to some users so as not to clog up the 3 pipes.
I was also seeing the same with my speeds. It was fine at first then it started to get slower at peek times speeds down to just below 1 meg.
Now thay go down to as low as 480kbps.
IT HAS JUST STRUCK ME THAT THE SPEED DROPS ALWAYS SEEM TO BE IN THE 512k 1meg or 2meg range
ie: when I get good speeds I get 1.70Mbps -1.80Mbps in between speeds of 970-980 and speed of 470-490...STRANGE!

(Is this why thay removed the FUP, maybe?)

Anyway, it would be interesting to see what the users download a month to see if it is only the big downloads that get slowed down
i.e the longer it take to download the slower it gets (maybe)
I was gettng a BIG download last night and the download got slower down to 980 then dropped to 480 as the night went on...but at about 4am ish which would be when a lot of user downloads would have finished that my connection springs back to life.
I was also having terrible lag spikes whan playing quake3 but at about 4am it suddenly got better and no lag.

Ok, I download from 10G - 50G a month. I am on the 2meg £30 package downloads start to get slower from 11pm onward to about 4am then in between it seems great, fine, fantastic even :-)

In anycase it is about time plusnet looked to see if possibly it could be their end that these speed problems are accuring as it seems more and more are getting the same slowdowns.
7 REPLIES
N/A

Slow speeds again

I was on 1mb lite service and upgraded to Broadnband Premier with"speeds up to 2mb"

My speeds are now on average worse that i had before !!

I paid extra to upgrade on promise of "as much speed as my line would support up to 2mb" and my speed has actually gone down.

Oh well, suppose it only cost me £14.9 to get slower speeds.

Cheers Plusnet Sad
Community Veteran

Slow speeds again

There have been a number of problems reported similar to this and it is caused by an issue PN have when speeds are upgraded. It does not affect every upgrade but it is happening too frequently.

Both of you need to raise a ticket and get your slow speeds investigated and fixed. PlusNet now control the throughput speed of your connection (independantly of the speed you sync at with the exchange) and sometimes your connection will still be set at your old speed causing randon speed changes. PN also have a config problem on one of their Junipers which cused speeds to be irratic. This also explains why your throughput looks like 512K or 1Mb speeds because that is what the throttle will have been set to by PlusNet.
mike001
Grafter

Slow speeds again

Thanks for the reply but do you not think I have already been down the route of
ticket after ticket and still I get the same reply .................

Can you please also confirm you have checked the following:

1. That your system has been scanned for virus' - ensure your software has the latest definitions and try an online scan at http://housecall.antivirus.com

Done more than once

2. That you have tested the connection when plugged directly into your master phone socket and all other telephony devices are detached ie nothing else is connected to the phone circuit. This is very important and failure to perform may result in abortive BT callout charges. Let us know if the speed is equally slow in this instance.

Done more than once

3. Can/have you tested an alternate modem/router or test your equipment at any ADSL enabled location?

Done more than once

4. Please also ensure you have checked for trojans and spyware on your system (or any other pcs on your network if there is one) to ensure that these are not causing any complementary traffic which may be slowing your system down.

Done more than once

5. If you are running a wirless network, ensure it is secured from external access so that no one else can use your connection.

Not done I dont have wirless network

PN also have a config problem on one of their Junipers which cused speeds to be irratic

Is this fix going to be looked at soon ?
and why has this not been mentioned by suport befor instead of makeing me go around in circles with ny tickets ?

thanks anyway
N/A

Slow speeds again

Thanks for the advice Peter.

I have raised a ticket and will see what happens.

Cheers mate
mike001
Grafter

Slow speeds again

ok just at about 8:30 8:45pm my speed has droped to 980kbps ?
been fine all day ....very strange
N/A

Slow speeds again

mine is a little slow, nothing to write home about tho

1,623.37 kilobits per second

How communication devices are rated. Kilo means 1,000 and mega means 1,000,000. Examples include 56k modem and 10Mbit Ethernet
Storage

193.52 kilobytes per second

The way data is measured on your hard drive and how FTP programs measure transfer speeds. Kilo is 1,024 and mega is 1,048,576.
1MB file download

5.17 seconds

The time it would take you to download a 1 megabyte file at this speed.

thats an external test, but plusnet test results were a little better, if not still not my usual connection

Your current speed is:

1.83 Mbps

Which means you can download at 233.86 KB/sec. from our servers.

I usually get 1.93 from pn speed, but as said, nothing to write home about!
N/A

Slow speeds again

yes i'm getting the same problem 1 min its 2 meg thna 1 meg than 512 speed what the hell is going on i'm not happy paid £14.99 aswell to upgrade and bad service

and it starting to get on my tits everytime i rase a ticket they allways say reboot your router for 30mins

dont you guys think i have done that 100000000000 times plusnet get this fixed once and for all it aint just me its proberly 10000 peeps that have the same problem