cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Slow speed

N/A

Slow speed

Hi
when i have kazaa(lite) running on my laptop, the speed of the whole internet drops to the speed of a 56kbps. When kazaalite is closed it goes to full speed, and is decent for surfing the internet. I'm on the package that does support p2p, (£21.99). The same thing happens running Kazaa normal. When I look at the DSL status icon the upload bandwidth is usually at the top, and the download bandwidth never goes above 100. Running kazaa affects internet explorer too, with pages taking ages to load. The only real solution is to close kazaa. Im not overly bothered, but it can be a bit of a pain sometimes. Anyone have any suggestions on solving this problem?
Thanks
Andrew Lodge
8 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Slow speed

Kazaa like any other internet using application takes badwidth up, therefore if it is running it is eating into your total available bandwidth and therefore everything else runs slow.
the 60 k/bytes (aprox) per second download speed is shared amonst all applications on your computer that use the net.

Chris
N/A

Slow speed

when i have kazaa on, the bandwidth used by downloads never goes above 2 or 3 kbps, for all the downloads and the net is still slow. So in short instead of getting the total 60kbps, i get about 10kbps bandwidth max with kazaa on, shared between all internet apps. Close kazaa and i get 60kbs shared between all internet apps. Thats why its weird.
N/A

Slow speed

Get Netstat or DU Meter or some other traffic monitor and see what the traffic is actually doing. It may appear that with Kazzaa running, your overall speed drops to 10kbps, but what else is using up the remaining ?? Pop ups and so on will use resources and bandwidth. With nothing queued for downloading in Kazzaa, there should be no traffic activity. Could you be operating as a supernode for Kazzaa ??
You can change what bandwidth Kazzaa uses but this is for Kazzaa alone and should not affect any other programmes.
N/A

Slow speed

I downloaded net stat then watched as I performed the plusnet speed test. 484kbps, and the graph was always near the top when performing then went down when the test stopped. I then loaded kazaa and downloaded from 7 sources at only 1.63kbps, and the graph on net stat was hovering just above the zero line. Then i did another speed test, this time recieving a speed of 23.45kbps, and the graph showed only a slight increase performing this test. I surfed the internet (slowly) and watched the graph and it differed very little. I closed kazaa, and continued surfing. The internet jumped up in speed and the graph was at the top again.
Also i am not functioning as a supernode.
When left completely idle with no bandwidth hungry applications only the occassional blip shows up.
What is strange is that i can upload to other users at up to 30kbps , mostly high speeds, and Netstat registers this, high upload bandwidth, low download.
N/A

Slow speed

I can only sugest this is a issue inside kazza itself.

What I can sugest is if you have a a second machine, and your sharinf the connection, try using kazza on on, and the speed test on another.
N/A

Slow speed

hiI am aware that the problem is not with plusnet, (because it works great)
On my second machine, kazaa worked brilliantly, up until the day i broke it. On the laptop, it has the same problem with both kazaa and kazaalite. there must be a problem at my end. Any other suggestions?
N/A

Slow speed

Well, it seems to have proved that nothing else is taking up your bandwidth.
I have to admit, I am mystified.
N/A

Slow speed

Hi,

Having used Kazaa myself, it does seem to be an application which can also use a lot of CPU time and accesses your disks quite a bit - I have now switched to WinMX and emule which seem to run a lot "cleaner".