cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Slow speed test. Why???

Delves
Grafter

Slow speed test. Why???

I've tested my bandwidth a number of times using the PlusNet utility and I'm lucky if I get results better than 140Kbs. I've visited the support page that send you to a tweak tool. I've run this and applied the tweaks it advised but when I use this site speed test I'm getting 87Kbs downloads and 243Kbs uploads.

Any ideas why my connection is always so slow

Regards

Dave

I do have a ticket waiting on this one
14 REPLIES
N/A

RE: Slow speed test. Why???

> I've tested my bandwidth a number of times using the PlusNet utility and I'm lucky if I get results better than 140Kbs. I've visited the support page that send you to a tweak tool. I've run this and applied the tweaks it advised but when I use this site speed test I'm getting 87Kbs downloads and 243Kbs uploads.
>
> Any ideas why my connection is always so slow
>
> Regards
>
> Dave
>
> I do have a ticket waiting on this one

Me too Slow results however I see downloads ranging between 50kbs and 5 kbs

WHY !!! Im using XP pro
Community Veteran

> > I've tested my bandwidth a number of times using the PlusNet utility and I'm lucky if I get results better than 140Kbs. I've visited the support page that send you to a tweak tool. I've run this and applied the tweaks it advised but when I use this site speed test I'm getting 87Kbs downloads and 243Kbs uploads.
> >
> > Any ideas why my connection is always so slow
> >
> > Regards
> >
> > Dave
> >
> > I do have a ticket waiting on this one
>
> Me too Slow results however I see downloads ranging between 50kbs and 5 kbs
>
> WHY !!! Im using XP pro

Seems fine to me seetest from adsl guide below??

Direction Actual Speed True Speed
Downstream 469 Kbps (58.6 KB/sec) 539 Kbps (inc. overheads)
Upstream 222 Kbps (27.8 KB/sec) 255 Kbps (inc. overheads)

--
Regards
John
http://www.hmrg.co.uk
N/A

same here, with XPpro and usb modem very slow.
when I use 98se everything is fine.
:rollsmile:
Simon.
N/A

> same here, with XPpro and usb modem very slow.
> when I use 98se everything is fine.
> :rollsmile:
> Simon.

The simple answer then is to use 98, ME or 2000 operating systems. XP seems to make everything slow! :-(
Ommin
Grafter

Same problem here. Using XP Home.

After three or four days of excellent download speeds the system became extremely slow yesterday with the majority of web pages taking an eternity to load. Carried out speed tests at ADSLGuide and Plusnet at various times throughout the day and my download figures were almost always in the 76 Kbps to 170 Kbps range.

Have just logged back on today and my first impressions are that it is just as slow as yesterday.

Hugh

Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

1. XP by default install's a Service that eats in to your bandwidth

So go in too Network connections and right click on the DUN for your modem. there click Networking. There untick and choose too Uninstall QoS Packet Schedular.

If that doesnt help then do some ping traces, try a FTP download and see what you get.

Plus don't trust site speed tests, as they are dependant on the number of people using them, at any given time. The speed test is probally over loaded with people trying it.
--
ADSL @ 288/576 Self Install
IRC.UTCHAT.COM
Usually in #utgames #UT2003
Unvalued customer since 2001 funding cheap internet for others / DSL/Fibre house move 24 month regrade from 8th May 2017
N/A

I'm running XP home and never experienced any problems. Also I'm internet sharing to my winME laptop and it's also fine. Both Pc's are getting full upload/download speeds. so I've no idea whats wrong in your case. Perhaps XP keeps altering your MTU back to default without u knowing?

--
Homerlovesbeer mmmmmmmmmm beer
N/A

Make SURE your MTU value and RWIN value is set right. This can have a massive effect!

Dave Allan
Delves
Grafter

I dont think Microsoft would think that changing the operating system to a previous version was considered a solution to the problem. The service is advertised as working with XP so it should.

As for speed tests I've been doing these test for over a week now at various times of day with no change to the results so I don't think over use of these sites is the reason.

I've used the site recommended by PlusNet Support http://www.dslreports.com/tweaks to adjust my settings and this has made no difference to my speed.

My Ticket has still to be responded to approaching 24 hours now ( I don't know how they work the average response time out as I've never had a response even close to it)

Regards

Dave
Ommin
Grafter

What I find strange is that although I have days when my download speeds are excellent and days when they are poor, my uploads speeds are always consistently excellent. Can someone explain how it is that I can be struggling with a download speed registering 75 Kbps and yet have a maximum upload speed.

I understand the problems with speed test sites but surely if it was overloaded with people using same that would affect upload and download speeds and not just download.

I have used DrTCP and my current settings are registering an efficiency in the region of 95 - 100%

Ommin
Grafter

> I dont think Microsoft would think that changing the operating system to a previous version was considered a solution to the problem. The service is advertised as working with XP so it should.
>

Dave

From Saturday to Tuesday my ADSL connection was excellent. Since then it has been very slow despite the fact that no changes have been made to the settings. After re-reading your first entry, I see that although your download speeds are poor your upload speeds are excellent. I am hoping someone can explain to me how it is possible to get excellent upload speeds and yet very poor download speeds as I don't understand it.

Delves
Grafter

Hugh

I've tried a telephone support call but that was almost useless all they could do was pass it on to technical although they did point me to http://www.speedguide.net/ to see if I could fix the problem myself.

I downloaded a two DSL tweak utils for XP and things are better for the moment although this isn't totaly because of the tweaks. After I applied them my speed did increase from around 130 to 280 so its probably worth a try

regards

Dave

> Dave
>
> From Saturday to Tuesday my ADSL connection was excellent. Since then it has been very slow despite the fact that no changes have been made to the settings. After re-reading your first entry, I see that although your download speeds are poor your upload speeds are excellent. I am hoping someone can explain to me how it is possible to get excellent upload speeds and yet very poor download speeds as I don't understand it.
>
>
>
>

Ommin
Grafter

> Hugh
>
> I've tried a telephone support call but that was almost useless all they could do was pass it on to technical although they did point me to http://www.speedguide.net/ to see if I could fix the problem myself.
>

Dave

Logged on this afternoon and my ADSL is now performing superbly despite the fact that I have not changed any settings on my computer. I don't know what the problem is but I am convinced it has nothing to do with my settings/computer.

Hugh

N/A

My speed has been all over the place since the 'upgrade'. I'm using ME and I'm now used to 28.8 modem speed at least once a week. Line drops are daily. It amazes me that some people fail to appreciate that you don't need a speed test to tell you that you're not even approaching 56K modem speed, the fact that you can make a cup of coffee while waiting for a page to load seems to be unimportant. Oh well, support have told me that max speed 24/7 is a 'dream', so that's put me in my place, boy do I feel silly for complaining. Still, it's only been three weeks now so I can't complain about the speed of their response. I feel a ticket bounce coming on any second now! At least I can rest assure that my ticket will almost certainly have been raised to extra-super-top-major-high priority. With a status like that, a resolution to the problem almost seems superfluous.

By the way, the problem of ***** download speed and consistently good upload speed first appeared when the switch to redbacks happened and everything went horribly wrong. After the rollback to the previous BT equipment, everything was OK, then after the next attempt at switching to redbacks, the problems started again. I'm no genius, but ...