cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Slow speed = fraud?

N/A

Slow speed = fraud?

If possible I would like to be brought up to date with PN connection speeds.
I have been running tests from Sept until now with PN's own test and two others. I am averaging about 1.5 - 2.0mbps well below my Premier option of 8mbps. I have never once seen it about 2.5mbps regardless of time of day. My exchange is always busy (red).
But BT's test shows that my possible download limit is 7mbps. But I never get near to this? My neighbour achieves 6mbps with Tiscali.
I do not have faith that this will be resolved. Is there any clause that will release me from my contract? Ie have I been fraudulently sold a BB subscription that has not been delivered?
3 REPLIES
N/A

Slow speed = fraud?

This sounds a bit like a problem we had after the upgrade. If you check "Connection Settings" -> "High-speed Broadband" and note what your connection speed is shown as.

If this is still shown as 2000kbps, raise a ticket with customer services quoting from this and the BT speed test and the problem should be corrected for you. This seems to be a problem with some MaxDSL upgrades where the 2000kbps cap on the line hasn't been removed.

Within a few hours of raising the ticket our speed had been more than tripled after the CS agent raised our profile manually to 6500kbps.

Given a few more days of manually disconnecting/reconnecting, your line should reach it's maximum stable speed.
N/A

Slow speed = fraud?

Settings shows my speed is 8mbps.
BT shows my possible achievable as 7mbps, and my actual through speed is 6.3mbps.
N/A

Re: Slow speed = fraud?

I am averaging about 1.5 - 2.0mbps well below my Premier option of 8mbps.

None of the Broadband packages are sold by speed - they are only "up to 8 Mbps". There is no guarantee of speed - speed is dependendent on both the length and quality of your line to the exchange, and the prevailing congestion (or lack of) in both the telecoms providers and PlusNet's systems.

1.5~2.0 Mbps is a quite decent, perfectly workable speed. Currently some BB+ users are only getting 0.128 Mbps or less during peak periods - these users have a real cause for complaint.

They may yet be something that could be fixed, but I wouldn't lose sleep over what are actually pretty reasonable speeds.

Is there any clause that will release me from my contract? Ie have I been fraudulently sold a BB subscription that has not been delivered?

With respect - I don't think that this is the case.