cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Slow downloads or it cud be the websites fault?

N/A

Hi guys i was downloading a trojan protector and my transfer rate was only 45kb a sec i have 1mb this should be in the 100k mark. Is this my connection being slow or is it the website only leting me have so much bandwith?

Thanks guys
10 REPLIES
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

Hi,

It could be either that is causing this. Easiest way to tell is to try and download something from another site (try our filevault or mirror.ac.uk for example). If that downloads at normal speeds then I'd sasy it was safe to say that this particular site won't allow a download faster than 45KB/s.
Community Veteran

Yep it's all about chains and weakest links Smiley

You can only get the speed of the slowest path in the link to the site you are downloading from so it's very likely that the less than expected speed was caused by the server you were down loading from or a link to it.
N/A

I have just done a speed test via plus.net and it says my speed could be increased. How do i go about this, i no there is somthing called dr.tcp but not sure what settings to use for the 1mb.

Any help
Community Veteran

What speed did the test give you? Also did you run it multiple times and work out the average as a one-off test does not always show your real speed.
N/A

The speed gave me 700k mark very slow 4 one 1mb. I have messed around we tcp and did ent do much. Put it back 2 default and now its back up 2 945k mark. Which is better.
N/A

Well 950 is better than my speed test results which give me about 850k which is good but i expect more from my 1mb and im not even that far from my excange. wonder what it could be it could be?. Sad
N/A

I am near my exchange 2 just werid aint it. I have just tried it again and got 966k werid a
N/A

I am supposed to have a 1Mb ADSL connection but can only get an average of 400k (not even equals the 512k connection)... and I am near to my exchange... meanwhile, I am paying the price for 1Mb connection...
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

Hi,

Have you checked your exchange status on Usertools? It's possible that the exchange is heavily contended at the moment.
N/A

Hi,

My exchange status is:
There are currently no known capacity problems on your exchange.

Have no idea why this is happening... I have already reported it but still waiting to know more about it...