Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Slow download but pings look fine...

N/A

Hi all,

for around 4 days now ive had the strangest problem,

im on 2m premier, and download speeds have dropped to 512 and less for no apparent reason, however if i ping or tracert google etc i get 25-30ms ping which looks fine to me (not sure quiet what ud expect on a 512 connection but i recall it being around 60ms?)

im on a netgear router and it appears to detect the line at 2m also, im on the Littleborough exchange which is showing green across the board.

Im really at a loss what to do, hardware and software wise nothing has changed at my end, and plus.net have said do the usual 3 bt checks (done 1 as a quick test and its slow as expected) which will ultimately lead me to submitting an problem, if i can work myself up to stomach the £50 charge from BT.

<rant>
Usually my adsl connection is great from plus.net but i have to say i find the ticket system pretty poor, on the phone they cant tell you much more than the website already does and sometimes i feel like if i knew nothing about pcs i be in a much better position than i am...

why do i have to troubleshoot my own connection when nothing has changedHuh
</rant>

anyway, 2m premier with less than 512 speeds and pings seem fine, anyone any suggestions?
22 REPLIES
N/A

Perhaps a read of the Customer feedback forum might answer your questions, or the service status announcements. Wink
N/A

Im also getting the same problem Peter over the last 3 days, i checked the service status and customer feedback and i think this new traffic shaping on Premier accounts is causeing the problem.

I just use web,usenet, email mostly and once in a blue moon i will use bit torrent. Im experiencing these slowdowns although latency is fine and ive done all the speedtests BT and Plusnets all report fine.
If this is intended to be a permanent thing then i will just have to pay a little more and move isp as im fed up haveing to run all these tests and reboot routers everytime Plusnet introduce a problem of their own making.
N/A

Perhaps a read of the Customer feedback forum might answer your questions, or the service status announcements. Wink

lol ok what does this mean then? (not quite the problem that had my area code on because its dropped off the bottom but it said the same thing)

http://usertools.plus.net/exchanges/mso.php?id=16395

pn said yeh could be to do with that (even though it said the problem was dealt with)

http://usertools.plus.net/exchanges/?exchange=Littleborough&exact=1230

and that all looks fine to me

Smiley
N/A

The traffic shaping on premier products, as discussed at length in the feedback forum, could be your problem. Downloads have been "managed" or "shaped" by Plus Net over the last 2 weeks, hence the slow speeds. This is also mentioned in Service status announcements x 3.
N/A

The traffic shaping on premier products, as discussed at length in the feedback forum, could be your problem. Downloads have been "managed" or "shaped" by Plus Net over the last 2 weeks, hence the slow speeds. This is also mentioned in Service status announcements x 3.

yeah ive seen and read those posts, but surely it isnt happening this dramatically? especially as i hardly use p2p stuff at all, the slow speeds are across the board (incase it wasnt clear in my earlier post)

spoke to pn i would have thought they could see straight away if my connection was being throttled?
N/A

Hi there,

The across the board wasnt apparent from your original post. All I saw mentioned was D/L's hence my reply.

Test you connection using the BT Speedtester Details here and post the results.

The £50 + charge will only be levied by BT if the fault is found to be with your equipment or internal wiring. This is one of the reasons why you have to do so many diagnostics so as (a) not to waste BT engineers time and (b) not to waste your money.

If previous BT speed tests are showing slowdowns and you are confident you local setup is ok then you are seeing a problem with your excange or line.
N/A

test your ping between 7:30 and 12am. You'll soon find pings aren't fine by then Smiley
N/A

well ive the expected 3 bt speed tests to do, 2 down 1 to go (at 2am tonite) and they still look the same.

luckly seems we know someone whos an engineer at bt so hes gonna make some phone calls on monday and im borrowing a different router to rule that out as well.

ill post after ive spoke to pn again
N/A

Hopefully the BT guy will be able to find the information you need.

Looking forward to your update.
N/A

according to the BT guy he went to my local exchange, did all the checks, an everything came out fine... so its time to get back to PN i think
FillDee
Grafter

Peter,

You say you are using a Neatgear router ? What type and what firmware version ?

The reason I ask is that my lines speeds have been dropping sigificantly lately. I have a1MB line and all runs around 900K ish give or take most of the time. Then, for no apparent reason, I switch the PC (or the laptop) on and the speed is terrible. Can be down to 200K ish.

Ticket system suggested the BT Speed test. Problem is, as soon I as disconnect and re-connect then problems goes away again. Hence the speed test is fine. Told ticket this and they suggested leaving the modem connected to the BT system until the problem happens and then check it. It can be fine for days and then go off. Obviously, I'm not too happy with that idea. 15 quid for a speedtest site and nowt else.

Waiting to see if +net will let me have the cost back for as long as it take. Not too hopeful though Smiley

I've ony noticed the issue since changing from PAYG to PLUS service (IE the product that is setup to slow down certain activities !)

Anyway, just wondered what Netgear stuff you were using. Might be a product issue.

Phil
N/A

according to the BT guy he went to my local exchange, did all the checks, an everything came out fine... so its time to get back to PN i think

Did he test the connection from the master socket in your premises?
N/A

Peter,

You say you are using a Neatgear router ? What type and what firmware version ?
l

Im on a DG834G V2 and the latest V2.10.22 firmware.

Ive since used a friends linksys router who is on 2meg on the same exchange with a different isp and the speeds were still slow... its definately not the router

Did he test the connection from the master socket in your premises?

no the tests were carried out from my exchange, however my router is connected directly into the master socket... ex-telecoms engineer as a father :-)
N/A

If he didnt test the connection from your premises, he didnt do a very thorough job. Maybe he fancied a second visit. :lol: