Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Slow connection

N/A

Slow connection

hi,

I have Dslconnect 250 , since monday.
Monday night, I was get average speeds of around the 100Kb mark, on downloads plus on various speed tests. Netstat live was showing peaks of around the 30 KB but these where small peaks and not that often.
Yesterday afternoon/evening things seemed much better with average speeds of around the 150-180Kb mark.
Today it has been so slow, I really think that my old dail up modem was quicker.
Netstat live hardly shows it getting above the 10KB , even though there has been a few peaks of around the 30kb . plusnets speed tests gives a average of somewhere around the 90-100Kb. with a low of around 60Kb and a high of about 130Kb.
Adslguide test is a average of 50Kb. So some of the problem does seem to lay outside the Adsl connection.
I know Dslconnect is a new product so no one really knows what a average on it will be, and as I have only had it a couple of days I`m willing to give it longer to settle down before I judge it.
I also know around about now is in peak time so it will be slower, but it`s been like this all afternoon and was like it late monday night .
So what I asking is does this seem the sort of speeds i can expect from a 250 product and does it sound like it is the connection or maybe my computer.
Dslreports told me to set a Mtu of around 1472 and a RWIN of 7160
which I have changed to about 30 minutes ago but they don`t seem to have made any difference , if anything it might seem slower.
12 REPLIES
N/A

Slow connection

A 250kbps connection speed should give a maximum data transfer rate of about 30KB/sec.
As for reliabilty on speed, only time will tell as it uses the Tiscali network and lots of people complain about that provider.
It could also explain why some signups for DSL connect go "mammaries up".
N/A

Slow connection

yeah , I knew around the 30KB was the most I would get, and at times netstat does show peaks reaching that, that`s why I didn`t think it was a wrong setting on my computer, but I thought I`d just ask and check.
So I`ll just give it a while and see what happens.
Thanks for your reply.
N/A

Slow connection

even 30k/sec is fast when used to a modem!

i remember when i was on 1 way sat - ewww but 25k/sec seemed lightening fast lol
N/A

Slow connection

yes 30k is fast compared to a modem, but I`m not getting that, l get peaks of 30k for like a second at a time what show up on netstat, but my average is around 10KB second at the fastest, most downloads and speed tests are more like 6KB/second . I`d be happy with around the 20KB, but under 10KB is slower than I expected.
IT`s still early days yet so maybe things will improve.
N/A

Slow connection

The 30KB/s will include lost and corrupt data.

Netstat live reports the network throughput, and not useful data throughput.

It may well mean that tweaking your MTU and RWIN values will help you in bringing the data corruption down.

I am kinda rushed off my feet with three jobs here, I am sure sombody will post the relevent links for you.
N/A

Slow connection

I'm not sure if the MTU and RWIN settings for Datastream (DSL Connect) are the same as IPStream (ADSL/RADSL). 'ADSL guide' gives suggestions assuming you are using "normal" IPStream ADSL.
However, try DSL SPEED
http://www.dsl-speed.org/
and see how you get on.
Community Veteran

Slow connection

I would be surprised if they were different, while the underlying architecture may differ, the way in which data is transmitted will be the same so I would assume the MTU and RWIN values apply equally to both services.
N/A

Slow connection

So if I should use the same settings as standard adsl, what should I use for the RWIN, by the tweak mtu thread that should be different depending on speed of connection, with a 17256 for 512kb, dslreports recommended that I use a 7260 setting , I took this to be cause my speed is slower, should I use the 17256?
Well I have tried both and neither makes much difference, I don`t think really my main problem is the setting, think it`s more the speed of the connection, netstat hardly ever show much throughput above 14-15KB , so if this includes errors and such then is changing the settings going to make this higher?
tonight my connection really does seem much slower than my dailup was.
download a file for plusnets vault gets me around 6KB average speed, most speed tests seem to give around the 80-130 Kb . except in the last hour where they have slowed down even more . out of three tests on plusnets test, one gave me 46, another 130 and 55. I did actualy get one what gave me 207Kb earlier today, what I think was the fastest I have ever got.

Adslguide is even slower , most have been under 70Kb today , the lastest two are :
http://www.adslguide.org.uk/tools/speedchart.asp?id=990276c1facaa8e952990276c1
http://www.adslguide.org.uk/tools/speedchart.asp?id=367e7523facaab7442367e7523

the last one is more common to most of my tests in that my upload speed is faster than my download.
It is really getting to the point of being unuseable , but I want to make sure it`s not my computer or anything before I say anything to plusnet.
N/A

Slow connection

which modem and what operating system are you using.
What kind of pc do you have eg do you know the make of
motherboard. MTU1478, RWIN8628 would be a good
setting, but I think the problem lies elsewhere probably
the connection.
Also are you running anti virus and have run Ad - aware to check for spyware.
Alec
N/A

Slow connection

If the IPstream and Datastream use the same settings, RWIN is a multiple of MTU and is relateable to your connection speed.
I would go for 8832
If your upload speed is faster than download, this tends to indicate that the download bandwidth is saturated by other users (contention) or the exchange has a problem.
However, as mentioned, DSL connect is still a new product and feedback on it's consistency is small.
N/A

Slow connection

I have a binatone 500 modem , windows me , I can`t remember the name of the motherboard (will have to open it up and check if you need it) but it`s a via chipset, athlon processor.
I have anti virus and Ad-aware (which did find some suspect values last week , but none since then.)
I`m thinking about reinstalling windows just to see if it will make any diffrence.
I`ve now set the numbers you gave and will see if that will make any difference.
Thanks for your help
N/A

Slow connection

The Binatone modem works best with an updated system,
so check for the latest microsoft updates and drivers.
If your going to reinstall windows make sure you re - format.
Have a look at the USBMan website for tips, download and install
the latest Via chipset drivers Link
and also look at the ME section.
Also run through both, the Wiring and filters topic and ADSL troubleshooting topic in Tutorials & FAQ forum
These are general tips to get the most of your system but I think you
should raise a ticket via Contact us to report the problem.