cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Slow connection speed (possibly wrong!)

N/A

Signed up with PN just over a month ago (2Mb Premier account), and they've finally got my connection sorted today (28-09).

Connected at around 7pm, and immediately noticed slow download speeds (attempted a Windows Update, which started at around 120KBps, but quickly dropped to roughly 50KBps).

Router is correctly setup...

Just done a speed test (ADSL guide) - time is 00:05.
This reported that my upstream is just above ISDN, and my downstream is roughly 700kbps.

Also, just check my router status, which says it's connected @ 1125kbps...
Have they given me the wrong package (ie, 1Mb instead of 2Mb?)

What now? Bit paranoid about raising a ticket because of their "if you're wrong, we'll charge you £50" policy...
11 REPLIES
N/A

Hi there,

If you have been provisioned at 1mb it is because BT feel that that is the most your line will support. However they have been wrong in the past.

If your router supplies line stats (many now do) you could post the stats here. From those, some of us should be able to tell if you have been correctly provisioned.

Downloads, irrestective of whether they are P2P or http are a notoriously bad way of determining speed.

From your connection settings link in the member centre, try a Plus Net speed test. Then try an ADSL Guide speed test and post the results.

BT will only charge the £50 fee if any fault is found to be caused by your equipment. It is better to rule out all possibilities first.

Let us know how you get on.
N/A

Will post results etc when I get home from work...

Funny thing is, the bloke that had the house before me was running a 2Mb Virgin connection...
N/A

Right, I’ve just had a browse through my router setup, and the statistics page showed the following:

Now, I don’t know too much about phonelines & ADSL, but after searching around I’ve found that my attenuation figure is well within the limits for a 2Mb connection…not sure about noise though.

So, time to raise a ticket methinks (a procedure I’ve become very accustomed to over the past 6 weeks!)

In the meantime I’ll try a PN speed test at midnight tonight, just out of interest.
N/A

Not raised a ticket yet...

What do you think? Are these figures ok to get a 2Mb connection?
N/A

Hi matrigg,

The graphic you have posted is only showing the top few lines on my browser (IE).

Its the bottom half which I need to see.

Can you see if you can post the screen grab again.
N/A

Sorry, must be a problem with my FTP.

Line attenuation reads: 28dB
Noise margin reads: 31dB

However, I have moved my router into my room, and it now reads:
Attenuation: 26dB
Noise margin: 22dB

Is that better or worse?
N/A

Mmmmh.

Would it be possible to plug the router into the master socket? By moving you seem to have different readings which might indicate a slight internal wiring problem.

You seem to be in limits for 2mb though with those figures.
N/A

Well, I've only been in this house for about a month and a half...not sure which is the main socket.

There are 2 sockets - one in the lounge (where I got the original readings) and one in the kitchen (which has an extension cable plugged into it that runs up into my room).

I'd assume that the extension is causing the alternative readings...

(I'd also assume that the lounge socket is the master as it's located on the front wall of the house, where as the one in the kitchen is pretty much smack-bang in the middle of the house)...I'll check outside later on, see if I can figure out which it is.

Are both sets of readings within the 2Mb limit? If so, I may aswell raise a ticket tonight...
N/A

Hi,

yes, both sets look good for 2mb.

If you are in any doubt about the Master Socket, have a look at this article. There is an image of a Master socket which should distinguish it from the rest.
N/A

Thanks very much for all your help pcsni...

I'll be raising a ticket tonight, and will hopefully get this sorted soon.
N/A

You are welcome.

Hope you get this resolved.