cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Slow broadband

N/A

Slow broadband

I use plusnet option2, but only get about 10% of the expected 4Mbit/s.

I've tried connecting with my modem/router and with a friends ethernet modem, both with splitters and extension cable and also with just the modem(/router) plugged directly into the master phone socket (with a rj11 to phone converter) with nothing else connected.

Broadband speed checker consistently gives me about 0.4Mbit/s and BT speed test gives:
IP profile for your line is - 135 kbps
DSL connection rate: 448 kbps(UP-STREAM) 4576 kbps(DOWN-STREAM)
Actual IP throughput achieved during the test was - 86 kbps

What can I do?
4 REPLIES
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Posts: 17,626
Thanks: 611
Fixes: 158
Registered: 05-04-2007

Slow broadband

Hi there,
I've just done a quick test on your line and can see that you can sync alot higher than the current throughput. However the test brought up something that could be causing a problem so if you can raise a fault to us we can get this looked at.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Chris Parr
 Plusnet Help Team
N/A

Slow broadband

This is very intersting. Have a look at my topic:

http://portal.plus.net/central/forums/viewtopic.php?t=56296


Chris - are you picking up on this. Is there a generic fault with this product?
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Posts: 17,626
Thanks: 611
Fixes: 158
Registered: 05-04-2007

Slow broadband

The fault was not detected on the product, it was on the previous posters line.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Chris Parr
 Plusnet Help Team
N/A

Slow broadband

I've been looking through the forums. Checked the phone terminal boxes for a RF blockers etc. but none found and no changes from my tinkering. However, the forums did mention the very helpful 'http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/linestats.htm', which showed me the hidden admin page for my router/modem. I tried lots of configuraions with the phone line, splitters and phone, but this had almost no impact on noise margins.

Tried raising a fault report and went through the broadband checker, but couldn't use an empty password for the required domain (speedtest@speedtest_domain) in my modem/router.

However, very early this morning my dowload speeds starting increasing: getting 200kbps instead of 10-15kbps from Steam with a low ping in CounterStrike (30ms). 'Thinkbroadband.com' results are no longer akin to a dialup connection and the ~2s delays (connections to sites, etc.) seem to have settled down.

Looking at the BT tester my line profile has gone from 135kbps to 2000kbps, and potential rates of ~1300kbps (I'm about 1.9km direct from the exchange, which is along a main road so probably close to the true distance as well).