cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Slow broadband

N/A

Slow broadband

I have tried to get Plusnet to acknowledge a problem with speed and give me some hope of resolution.
All I get is that everything is within acceptable parameters.
A year ago I had a 1 Mg package with results from PN's speed test averaging 975Kbps. I'm now on BB+ and in Oct 2006 I was getting 1500 Kbps.
Currently, with the latest technological improvements I'm getting approx 125Kbps :roll: from their tests which they state is below their limits.

Bt tests show approx 2496Kbps downstream with an ip throughput of 229Kbps.

Can anyone tell me of their problems (not marital, please)and how they resolved it, ideally without moving ISP.

I have a new router now,I have checked settings and confirmed speed tests on other sites. My router reports much the same as Bt, unsurprisingly.

It seems that support doesn't look or take any notice of the information that they obviously have or take a real interest in solving the problems.

I have run through their system of checks a numbers of times now.
12 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Slow broadband

I'm not sure exactly what you are saying. Can you copy the entire output from http://speedtester.bt.com/ please.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£13/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
N/A

Very slow speed

I am also a new member of Plusnet. I have set up everything as I was instructed to but I am only getting speeds of 960kbps download, and 377kbps upload!. This is not broadband surely.
Can anyone help?. I have looked at my Mtu and that is ok.
I am not new to this and used to get 6mbps with the same gateway router with my old Isp.
Please help.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Slow broadband

@wonderblonde7

Could you also post the results from the BT speed test. Also could you post what speed https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=stable_rate says.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£13/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

Re: Slow broadband

Can anyone tell me of their problems (not marital, please)and how they resolved it, ideally without moving ISP.

Hi,

Looking at the speed report history from BT your line resync'd at 288kbps around 24/03/2007 10:10:02 and again around 25/03/2007 00:52:10.

The way that Max works is that a decrease in sync speed will cause the throughput rate (shown in the BT speedtest as the IP profile) to decrease straight away, but to go up again the sync reate needs to stay higher for at least 3-5 days.

Do those times (give or take about an hour) help at all? Any reason that the line would resync at these times?
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff

Re: Very slow speed

I am also a new member of Plusnet. I have set up everything as I was instructed to but I am only getting speeds of 960kbps download, and 377kbps upload!. This is not broadband surely.

A quick test on the line shows that it's sync'd at a speed of 1248kbps so the throughput speed you are seeing is about right. It looks like the line is a very long line so the speed is probably right.

I am not new to this and used to get 6mbps with the same gateway router with my old Isp.

Was that on a different phone line? This phone certainly looks like a long line with a loop loss of 60dB so probably won't support any faster than you are seeing now. ADSL is very much a distance dependent technology, the longer the phone line, the lower the speed that line will support.
N/A

Slow broadband

Cheesy Speed back to expected value.
So I very happy.
N/A

Slow broadband

Cheesy Speed back to expected value.
So I very happy.
N/A

Musings!

I feel the whole adaptive Bt thing is to severe and punishes people who are some distance from the exchange more severely than those who are local to it, Even though we pay the same!!
I realise that connecting and diconnected causes problems but often updates and upgrades to pc's mean you HAVE to turn on and off.Maybe family members all use the same PC.
Not all of us have Routers that can be left on although I have bought and now use one of these. Is BT promoting energy efficiency and saving; I think not! Someone do the calculations.
Why reduce rates by 500K steps when perhaps a 10% (percentage) change depending on the usual rate would be less noticiable and likely to cause BT and PN less support problems.
I would hazard a guess that perceived problems have gone up since the introduction of the new system.
So at 500K drop on 7000K drops to 6500K and a 1000K drops to 500K hardly noticeable to the 7000Kb line but HALF speed for the 1000k or worse. Thats why people complain.
If it changed by 10% then we have 6300K and 900K both now hardly noticeable to their usual feeds.
Anyway, how does the system really work?
How many times can I switch off/ON in succession before an electronic policemen decides I have a problem with the line, noise whatever?
When does it decide that it is now stable and can increase again?
I suppose this could go on and on :lol:

Thanks to anyone who has helped and continues to help.
N/A

Speed so slow

We were with Sky but normally got speeds of 6mbps. Bt then did a line check and told us we could expect 4 to 6mbps down the phone line. We have now moved to Plusnet and have been told we may only expect 1mbps!.
The download speed after 8 days is now 481kbps!.
This is hopeless for us, we cannot run our wireless network of 3 Pcs at the same time as the data transfer slows to a crawl.
Not at all happy with the service, useless speeds for me as a photographer. I need decent upload and download speed. We had this with Sky, but we are now tied into a twelve month contract with Plusnet. Bt has a lot to answer for.
The assured 4 to 6mbps was acceptable, but what we are experiencing is not. Can anybody help us at all, or are we stuck with this grossly inadequate and disappointing service?.
Bookman
Grafter

Re: Musings!

I realise that connecting and diconnected causes problems but often updates and upgrades to pc's mean you HAVE to turn on and off. Maybe family members all use the same PC. Not all of us have Routers that can be left on although I have bought and now use one of these.

I have a router but live in a part of the country where the power lines are above ground and subject to faults (swans flying into them, cows scratching their backsides against the poles - yes, honestly, this was the reason for at least one outage).

So, router disconnecting is a fact of life and out of my control! Sad
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff

Re: Musings!

I feel the whole adaptive Bt thing is to severe and punishes people who are some distance from the exchange more severely than those who are local to it, Even though we pay the same!!

BT had good intentions when they designed Max, the idea of the BRAS profile is to prevent packet loss of not having a throughput rate limit.

Whether that's the case or not is open to interpretation, Tiscali Wholesale don't do this on our LLU customers and I've never seen a packet loss problem in this way, but I doubt BT will change it before ADSL2+ appears.

Is BT promoting energy efficiency and saving; I think not! Someone do the calculations.

I did once, there's a fair bit of carbon created from routers switched on all the time.

Why reduce rates by 500K steps when perhaps a 10% (percentage) change depending on the usual rate would be less noticiable and likely to cause BT and PN less support problems.

It was decided by BT it would be simpler to have it work in 0.5Mbps blocks, so if the sync rate drops then the throughput rate is changed to the appropriate block depending on the sync rate. If the line speed drops from 7Mbps to 1Mbps then so does the throughput.

I would hazard a guess that perceived problems have gone up since the introduction of the new system.

Definately.

So at 500K drop on 7000K drops to 6500K and a 1000K drops to 500K hardly noticeable to the 7000Kb line but HALF speed for the 1000k or worse. Thats why people complain.

Yep, but if the sync rate drops by that much then the throughput has too as well.

Anyway, how does the system really work?

The DLM systems monitor the lines, if the sync rate decreases then the throughput decreases straight away, if it goes up then the throughput increases after 3-5 days depending on the lowest sync speed seen during that time.

How many times can I switch off/ON in succession before an electronic policemen decides I have a problem with the line, noise whatever?

About 6 times in 30 minutes.

When does it decide that it is now stable and can increase again?

When the sync rate increases at least into the next 0.5Mbps block and stays higher for at least 3-5 days. If it goes back down again the 3-5 day period is reset.
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff

Re: Speed so slow

The assured 4 to 6mbps was acceptable, but what we are experiencing is not. Can anybody help us at all, or are we stuck with this grossly inadequate and disappointing service?.

As per my post above the test on your line shows an attenuation of 60dB which is a very long line and right on the limit for the old fixed rate 1Mbps service.

Is this the same line as you had the Sky service on? Based on the line stats I'd say that 1-1.5Mbps is the best this line could support. If it's the same line have you changed anything since switching to us? e.g. new router, added Sky changed the phone?