cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Slow bittorrent on BB Premier

N/A

I have a BB Premier 2MB connection, that normally flies along. Normal download speeds are well above 100kbs. However Bittorrent speeds are pathetic, im lucky if I can get 30k a second!

Currently im downloading at 11kB/s, with my upload running at 20kB. If it was only this one torrent it wouldnt be too bad, but it seems every torrent is like this. Everything was alright until I got my upgrade a while ago. Before the 'upgrade' I could pretty much max out any torrent at 100kbs download speed.

Is anyone else having problems? Any suggestions on what I could do to download my perfectly legal torrents much faster?
20 REPLIES
N/A

1) using your upload at the same time kills the download (try not sharing a file)
2) it could be the seeder
3) stop using torrents if its a perfectly legal download, and use the website // FTP link.
N/A

Neither of those points explains why when I had my 1MB line I could hit 100kbs a second downloading, while uploading at around 20kbs with no problems. But now I have a 2mb line I can barely get to 30kbs download.

The fact that there are other sources to get files doesnt really alter the fact that my bittorrent speeds are pants.
Alecto
Grafter

Something odd seems to be going on.

Try this torrent and see what you get.

Previously, it has downloaded at 200kB plus within a couple of minutes. Today it's sticking at 100 to 150.

Edited:
Correction to that - I've just started a download from UK Nova and it was up to 230kB within a minute, so the test torrent must be deteriorating.
Still be interesting to see what you get with it.
N/A

Started up that torrent and let it run for 10 minutes, heres my results:

In the first minute I connected to 28 seeds and 2 peers.
Download speed started out at 30k, and began moving between 30-50 for the next few minutes. Stabilised about 40k. Had occassional spikes up to 70k, but not very often.

At least I know it can go over 30k now!
Alecto
Grafter

Hi again - see my correction above. Looks like 150 or so is the max for that torrent at present.

But since you're only getting half that and I can do 230k elsewhere, it might be your torrent settings that are out. Are you fully connectable, not firewallwed, and get green faces (assuming you're using Azureus)?
craigbrass
Grafter

As said by "buzzons", upload could be effecting it. Effectivly you have around 25kbps upload speed. Also assume you have 200kbps download on a 2mb connection. If you are using 80% of your upload on uploading, you can only effectivly get 20% of your download (say 40kbps).

I *think* thats right but correct me if I am wrong.
Alecto
Grafter

I limit my upload to 20k and it doesn't slow the speed down, though it did when I let it do 30k.
N/A

I will try lowering the maximum upload speed to around 10-15 and see if that makes a difference.

And yeah im all green happy faces with Azureus. Although I might try putting Azureus on another computer just to make sure its not something weird with this machine.

The router is all upnp-ed up and Azureus uses the upnp plugin to open up the required ports, so that shouldnt be a problem.
Alecto
Grafter

And you're not using the default port? Pn don't block it, but some torrent sites don't like it.
That's me out of ideas....... Sad
craigbrass
Grafter

Hey, wait a second, are you using a router?
N/A

I am using the default port in Azureus, 6881, should I change it?

And yep Im using a router, its a Netgear DG834G, with the latest firmwire on it.. think its 2.something.. But I have had this router since well before my speed upgrade and it was never a problem.
craigbrass
Grafter

Yep. Try changing it to somthing else and see if the speeds change much.
N/A

Changing the default port slowed it down even more.. I chose 6890, but I might end up changing it back. Or better yet - reinstalling azureus with a clean profile Sad
Alecto
Grafter

No, some sites tend to block bands of ports around the default ones.

Try 26881 or 46881 that are nowhere near the default.