cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Slow...Where do I start ?

daftcars
Grafter

I've just done an adslguide speed test for a rough guide, as my connection seems pretty slow. I get a downstream figure of 1.4 Mbps, which I understand, is less than one can reasonably expect from a 2mb connection. I'm on 'up to 8mb', so can someone please start me off with things to check, settings etc. I'd just like to get closer to the speed that I'm paying for, if poss.
Cheers.
9 REPLIES
N/A

I find the best test is to download media player 11 from MS

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowsmedia/player/download/download.aspx

and see what speed you get. Its normally a very fast site and you should get 300K +
jrgrahamcov
Grafter

Nice Beard !!!!!

Yes if you want to do a test I would use www.microsoft.com. Try starting a download of the full win xp SP2 and see what speed it is on after 5 mins or so. That will give you a good idea.(you can stop the download then !!!)

Your speed assuming no other problems is related to your line quality. The further you are from the telephone exchange the lower you download speed will be. I am a fair distance from the exchange and get 2Mb. People further away will get less.
daftcars
Grafter

Thanks for the replies. I know I'm thick, but how do I find the speed when I'm downloading something?

As for distance from the exchange, about 500 yards, as the crow flies, so I feel I should be doing better with an 'up to 8mb' product.
jrgrahamcov
Grafter

Hi,

When you start to download a file a grey box appears which will say downloading XXXXX from XXXXXX. At the bottom is a number which at the start of the download will keep changing. The download speed is transfer rate at the bottom.

Hope that helps
daftcars
Grafter

Excellent, thanks. Just downloaded Media Player at 644 KB/sec

So, um...it seemed dead fast to me, but is that good for 'up to 8 meg' ? Should I be getting faster thabn that?

Cheers.
daftcars
Grafter

Any comments anyone? I'm just wondering if I should be happy with that d/l speed. Is it about right for 8 Mb...or just about right for Plusnet ?
Zathras
Grafter

Youll never get 8MBs, but that speed is 3x mine so arounnd 6MB which aint bad...lucky you Cheesy
daftcars
Grafter

WOW 6Mb? I never thought I'd get that. So I should be happy then? OK I'm happy Smiley
N/A

You downloaded that at 5.1meg. 644k = 5152kbps.

Go here http://speedtester.bt.com this test will tell you everything you need to know. Your IP profile (BRAS / Data Rate) your sync (whcih you can find from your router/modem though of course) and will conduct a speed test).

Keep in mind that during peak/busy times it's very unlikely to get the full speed from your line. If your synced at 8meg (which I suspect you are if you are that close to the exchange) then your max will be 7150kbps which = 900kbps but really it's unlikely you will see that high unless during quiet times of the day.

Saying all that though I'm sure you will appreciate that the 5meg you saw on the test you ran is pretty fast.

Hope that helps some.