cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Slow Speed

N/A

Slow Speed

Hi Folk's.
About a week ago I did a self install when my local exchange became active for ADSL.
I am useing a Netgear DG814 Router and was initially useing two Netgear FA331 Ethernet card's.
However--on my wfe's Comp--which is running Win 98--she had trouble getting onto most Web page's---and if she did---it would end up hanging on her.
As for my Comp--which is on XP---thing's seem'd OK---but the Speed Test show's only 280kbps.
So my Comp Guru came over--and put another ethernet card in my wife's Comp--a £10 jobby from PC World---and now she's running at 498kbps.
So after trying out all option's and setting's---today got the identical card for my own Comp---installed it--and guess what------"Didley-Squat"---still 260/270kbps.
Am as sick as a Parrot-----can anyone help.
Cheers.
JP
1 REPLY
N/A

Slow Speed

Hi,

Although this is an unusual discrepancy, you may want to try setting the network card to be using the same duplex and speed settings as your router - e.g. if your router is set to half duplex, 10Mb/s, then set your card to this also.
It has been known that speeds can be reduced when ethernet interfaces are constantly trying to auto-negotiate optimum line speed and duplex.