cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Slow P2P speeds

N/A

Slow P2P speeds

I regraded to Broadband Plus 14.99

How comes I cant get speeds of more than 10 kbps. ? Its really slow and annoying. It used to be much faster than that !

Even at 12 in the night its that speed? Whats going on?
19 REPLIES
N/A

Slow P2P speeds

Broadband Plus is a packet shaped product, it is not suitable for P2P or large downloading.

What made you switch?
N/A

Slow P2P speeds

Well my previous account was an old account so they cut of the P2P. I phoned and was told I should get this account as it better and cheaper than my old. Evil

So the P2P speeds will always be this slow?
N/A

Slow P2P speeds

Yes, Broadband Plus is traffic shaped towards surfing and e-mail. If you want to download, your probably best off switching to premier.
N/A

Slow P2P speeds

OMG.

Oh well. Ill keep it for a couple of months then upgrade or change company.

If i upgrade to premier do I have to pay 14.99 again. ?
N/A

Slow P2P speeds

So the P2P speeds will always be this slow?

try at 4am to 7.30 am you'll get max 30KB/Sec

Plus net REALLY should describe the service better when selling it.

Its more or less capped all the time!!!!!! :roll: nothing about "how busy the network is etc"

i get 10KB too during most of the day

:roll:
Alecto
Grafter

Slow P2P speeds

OMG.

If i upgrade to premier do I have to pay 14.99 again. ?

No, £14,99 is charged either when you move to a cheaper account, or when you want a queue-jumping speed upgrade.

Moving to an account which costs more per month does not have this charge,
N/A

Slow P2P speeds

Plus net REALLY should describe the service better when selling it.
:roll:

With Broadband Plus you can use any type of Internet services you want. In order to ensure we deliver a high level of service, during busy periods we will give priority to services such as web browsing and email and a lower priority to high usage services such as downloading and file sharing.

Doesn't get much clearer than that. Do people actually read what they are signing up to anymore?
Alecto
Grafter

Slow P2P speeds

I think the problem is not with the bit you've highlighted, but with the phrase "during busy periods".

This, perhaps rightly, leads people to think that there are some times in the day when you can get a decent P2P speed on Broadband Plus, which does not seem to be the case

It would be more sensible for Pn to say quite simply that Broadband Plus is not suitable for P2P.
N/A

Slow P2P speeds

Indeed, but the 30 kbs max mentioned is what a lot of people experience with the premier products. This is not Plus nets doing, but what P2P has become recently.

If 10kps is being experienced by BB+ customers then that is probably fair enough compared to what Premier customers are getting.
N/A

Slow P2P speeds

quote from sales enquiries before i signed up:

Unfortunately, at the moment we don't have any specfic information on how slowly things could run.

a more straightforward, even estimated details could have saved me some hassle. Most users obviously experience about 10K/sec speeds so perhaps new customers should be aware of this specifically.

I understand the BB+ service is acting as described, though i feel perhaps it could be described better, and Plus Net should spend more time to find out about such "specific information"

As for torrent and p2p always being around 30KB/Sec, I am sure i did not get such speeds on my previous 512K connection with Pipex. So I think perhaps such downloads are unnecessarily being capped when bandwidth utilisation is much lower than usual between 4 am - 7am.

( i think they just want everyone to move to premier =p )
N/A

Slow P2P speeds

As for torrent and p2p always being around 30KB/Sec, I am sure i did not get such speeds on my previous 512K connection with Pipex. So I think perhaps such downloads are unnecessarily being capped when bandwidth utilisation is much lower than usual between 4 am - 7am.

BB+ is not capped nor is premier. BB+ is traffic shapped, but I agree it should be better worded so that people understand that this account is not really suitable for P2P.

As for the 30Kb/s, I've got much high than that, and more often than not mine settles at around 60-80 and I've only got a 1Mb connection. You need set limits on both up and download otherwise you'll max out your connection, and it cannot sent out acknowledgement packets. The Bit torrent guides say set your limits at 90%, but I've found 66% works better. So for example, my limits are 84 for download and 21 for upload. A lot also depends on where the tracker is, and whether you using an IP Blocker.
N/A

Slow P2P speeds

well its not capped but its given "less priority" aka capped/limited/throttled..... :!:

and your on Broadband Premier right? so your actually not suitable for comparison with us BB+ users, it wudnt make sense

yes PlusNet should say "NOT SUITABLE FOR P2P, EXPECT "throttled" speeds around 10KB/Sec, according to current customers, AND don't expect it to be much faster in the dead of the night, 30KB/Sec according to current customers" =p
N/A

Slow P2P speeds

on the plus side i get very good non-p2p downloads and browsing speeds Cheesy
my only point is service should be better described
N/A

Slow P2P speeds

and your on Broadband Premier right? so your actually not suitable for comparison with us BB+ users, it wudnt make sense

I'm not sure what my account type, has any bearing on this conversation, and most of my comments bear true whatever type of connection your on, even BB+