cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Slow MaxDSL in mornings???

flicker
Grafter

I'll start a new thread as the question I put on my old one seems to have got unnoticed again. Sad

Please could someone come up with a theory/reason why my speeds are really slow early morning, consistently, weekends and working days too, and yet they are okay during so-called "peak" times in the evenings? Anything from 6am through to around midday the most I ever get is 1800mpbs. During peak times, its normally more than double that, and more usually around 5400mpbs. The magical 7100 has been achieved only once so far, despite all the tweaks I've been advised to do.

It just seems completely weird to me how can there be a contention issue at 6.30 am on a Sunday morning for instance? :?

Test just taken, slightly later than some I've done -

Yesterday morning -

Saturday morning -

Last night -

It just seems weird to me, it's not life or death, but just confusing and something I'm interested to know why and if anything can be done? :?:
20 REPLIES
flicker
Grafter

30 views and no replies. Is my problem really that unique? :shock:
James
Grafter

It's a fairly ramdon problem. What speeds do you get between 6-9pm?
flicker
Grafter

That's just a random few. The worst I have got during 6-9pm is 3600mpbs. It's almost as if my exchange is running on half power during the mornings or something! Knowing the Welsh way of doing things though, I wouldn't be at all surprised frankly. Oooh racist. Wink
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

I wonder if there is another user on your exchange who hammers something during the morning?
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£13/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Community Veteran

Could I ask you to post up your sync speeds and SNR both when running a full speed and slow.

I have found that my SNR drops from 12dB to 6dB @ 23:30 every night returning at 06:00, due line interferance on the line.

Chilly
flicker
Grafter

Hi, thanks, but I don't know how to get this information from my router - help! Where do I look, I keep reading things about people's decibels, but have yet to discover where to find mine. The router is a d-Link DSL-904
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

I couldn't find info on the 904, but information on this similar model (or the one below) may help.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£13/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
flicker
Grafter

Ooops, believe it or not, I've been on that page several times, and obviously can't find my one, but found one that has the same settings. Have just looked again at my router log in page, and it is actually Model 604T. For some reason it says on the box 904! Work that one out! (and no, I'm not looking at it upside down :lol: ) Anyhow, there is still nothing that shows dbs on any of the settings whatsoever. Are they called something else for instance? I have found a list under Status/DSL Status which shows things called Margins and Line Attenuations, but I don't think this is it, the figures never alter. :?
flicker
Grafter

Can somebody please tell me how to get the information that chillypenguin asked for, ie, sync speeds and SNR. Thank you. Or should I ask on another forum maybe? :?
N/A

See here
Community Veteran
Fixes: 54

Ooops, believe it or not, I've been on that page several times, and obviously can't find my one, but found one that has the same settings. Have just looked again at my router log in page, and it is actually Model 604T. For some reason it says on the box 904! Work that one out! (and no, I'm not looking at it upside down :lol: ) Anyhow, there is still nothing that shows dbs on any of the settings whatsoever. Are they called something else for instance? I have found a list under Status/DSL Status which shows things called Margins and Line Attenuations, but I don't think this is it, the figures never alter. :?
What was being referred to as SNR is what your router is showing a Noise Margin or Margin and should be something like 10dB
As a comparison which may help this is what my Speedtouch shows
Link Information

Uptime: 0 days, 21:01:09
Modulation: G.992.1 Annex A
Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 448 / 3,456
Data Transferred (Sent/Received) [MB/MB]: 7.07 / 35.13
Output Power (Up/Down) [dBm]: 12.0 / 18.0
Line Attenuation (Up/Down) [dB]: 24.0 / 50.0
SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]: 14.0 / 10.0
flicker
Grafter

See here

I've looked at that page on my router settings over and over and over, there is nothing that says DBs! I know how to log into my router, and I know how to get to that page, but it doesnt give the information that seems to be wanted here. :?:

All that link gives me is to log in to my router, to go to Status tab, DSL Status. This is what is on that page.

DSL Status
Connection Status Connected
Upstream Rate (Kbps) 448
Downstream Rate (Kbps) 8128
US Margin 23
DS Margin 11
Modulation MMODE
LOS Errors 0
DS Line Attenuation 8
US Line Attenuation 10
Path Mode Fast Path

DSL Statistics
Near End F4 Loop Back Count 0
Near End F5 Loop Back Count 0
flicker
Grafter

: 448 / 3,456
Data Transferred (Sent/Received) [MB/MB]: 7.07 / 35.13
Output Power (Up/Down) [dBm]: 12.0 / 18.0
Line Attenuation (Up/Down) [dB]: 24.0 / 50.0
SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]: 14.0 / 10.0

Thanks mate, but I can't find anything like those figures or information on any page whatsoever on this stupid router. I am tempted to use my old one, Edimax, I knew exactly where to find stuff on the settings pages on that. Trouble is it has a fault and kept disconnecting. Grrrrrrrr am getting so wound up about this now, I just cant get to the bottom of it. I am getting maximum speeds of 1600kpbs all morning, then tonight its up to over 6000. I just want to know why!
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

Your line stats are great, can't see that causing any problems. Do you live in an area with lots of businesses? Just sounds like there's lots of people in your area using their connections heavily in the day but not in the evening. Can't think of any other logical reason really.

Don't suppose the old BT Speedtest works for you?

http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/btwspeedtest.htm

It's now been withdrawn for most people so probably won't work, but worth a try to see if it does work if so give it a go when it's slow.