N/A

Slow Download Speed - ADSL 512K Home Self-Installed

Traceroute Results: View Traceroutes
Traceroute Time (24 Hour): 23:17 to 23:37
Traceroute Duration: 20 minutes
Traceroute Packet Size: 64 bytes
Packetloss in Traceroute?: Yes
Exchange: Middleton
Problem: Permanently Slow Data Transfer (Everything is slow)
Duration of Problem: Please Select...
Minimum Speed Achieved On PlusNet Speedtest: 0 kbps
Maximum Speed Achieved On PlusNet Speedtest: 0 kbps
Average Speed Achieved On PlusNet Speedtest: 0 kbps
Account: Please Select... ()
IP Block Size: Single (default)
Ticket Number: 10535765
Additional Information: 1) Norton Anti Virus Scan done - no virus/trojans.
2) Problem existed on previous isp but I never looked into this at that time.
3) ZyXEL p630-11 USB Modem used with latest driver.
4) Dr TCP suggestions followed - best configuration found to be TCP Receive Window: 13900 - Dial
Up (RAS) MTU: 1430 - TTL: 64 - Max Duplicate ACKs: 2 but results varied with each test.
5) Speed Tester at ADSL Guide gives a download speed of 120Kb/sec although again results varied with each test done.
26 REPLIES
N/A

Re: 4) Dr TCP suggestions followed - best configuration found to be TCP Receive Window: 13900 - Dial
Up (RAS) MTU: 1430 - TTL: 64 - Max Duplicate ACKs: 2 but results varied with each test.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Your RWIN setting looks right, at 13900, but why have you set the dial-up MTU - this is for analogue modem connections, not ADSL.

In the "Adapter Settings" section of DrTCP, look for your USB ADSL Modem in the dropdown, highlight it and set 1430 in the MTU box to the right of it. Then hit "Save" and reboot your computer, to ensure that the settings are stored.

When the computer has rebooted, try the speed tests again.

HTH

John
N/A

Dial Up (RAS) MTU is set to 1430 and MTU on the right is also set to 1430 - these tests were done with those settings Dr TCP recommends this for a USB Modem.

John
N/A

Those settings work fine with my Netgear Router as well - good speed & 100% transfer efficiency: http://216.254.95.40/tweak/block:49d5252?service=dsl&speed=512&os=winXP&via=pppoA.

Looks more like an exchange/BT issue than +Net problems?

John
N/A

BTW are all of your 'phones/Sky box, etc., filtered correctly? Just noticed in your OP that there was a similar issue with your previous ISP!

John
N/A

Just tried this test: http://www.dslreports.com/speedtests/16129;281392;7a56184cc1e8a9f0e7df77b4c29a597c;2.0;www.dslreport...

I have microfilters as supplied by my previous isp fitted for the line connection. I wasn't aware I had filters for my Sky box? Where do I check for this?

Any comments on the zero download speed recorded on the Plus Net Speed Test?

John
N/A

Re: I have microfilters as supplied by my previous isp fitted for the line connection. I wasn't aware I had filters for my Sky box? Where do I check for this?

Any such phone/device using your 'phone line needs an ADSL filter fitted - if you have a Sky box which uses the 'phone line for programme info, etc., then it must be filtered. [Edit: to clarify that - you need to filter it!]

The 0 on +Net test is irrelevant at the moment, as the DSL Reports test also shows rubbish downstream speed (if speed is the corredt word!)

HTH

John
N/A

As a test, if you can, connect your modem directly to your BT master socket (with filter for the RJ11 connection for your modem) and try the speed test again with NO other 'phones/Sky box connected.

If this sorts your problem - then invest in more filters for ALL of your other 'phones/devices.

HTH

John
N/A

Ok - sounds good - I will do this and report back - btw, I have only the 2 phone sockets but use 4 cordless phones.

John
N/A

Disconnected Sky Box (was connected via microfilter to phone line already!) - disconnected all phones, leaving only USB Modem connected via filter to Master Socket. Re did speed test - no significant improvement (36Kb download speed - http://www.dslreports.com/speedtests/36683;275292;74e8ebaede15bac2e493d962dd78a4e4;2.0;www.dslreport...
N/A

Are you in any way able to test your modem at another ADSL location?

The same again in reverse. Are you able to test another persons modem on your line?
Community Veteran

Or test it without the filter/splitter - if you have an old 56k modem lead, use that to connect the modem to the wallsocket. Also try this method directly into the master socket if you can.
N/A

Reference the last 2 posting replies: Will test as suggested within 48 hours.

Customer Support requested I remove firewall - done. The firewall was standard recommended settings for Nortan Internet Security 2003 - now disabled.
N/A

Just looking back at your reply to DrTCP settings, Iv'e had a thought which may be worth checking.
What appears in the adapter box that you changed tthe MTU for.
You have 4 possibilities
1/ Your actual modem name
2/ IEEE 1394 adapter
3/ Microsoft TV/Video
4/ Network Adapter.

The one that you need to change is either 1 or 3 (this will depend on the drivers used for the modem, it will be 3 if the modem drivers dont support device naming). If you change 2 (Firewire) or 4 (LAN), it will make no difference at all to the modem.
N/A

Thank you for this post - good thought but it is the modem settings that I changed as per above posting - the other drop down menu as you mention does show Microsoft TV/Video.

I do not think this problem will be a PlusNet fault but turn out to be either a modem or phone line internal wiring or BT fault.