cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Slow Connection.

N/A

Slow Connection.

Hi Folk's.
You will have to make allowances for my lack of knowledge on these matter's---but don't seem to be doing any good with phoneing PlusNet regard's my slow connection.
The last phonecall I made --the pleasent young chappy suggested I go to "Half Duplex"---tried that---in fact---tried all the option's--but to no avail---my connection--is half of my wife's--who is in the same room--same Net-Card's---same Router--only difference--is she run's 98--&--I run XP.
My current "Speed-Test" rate is 290kps--the wife is running at 502kps ??.
Any suggestion's would be welcolme.
Cheers.
JP.
7 REPLIES
N/A

Slow Connection.

JP,

Sorry for what may seem like obvious/simple questions, but the more info the better:

1. What ADSL router are you using
2. Are you using a hub/switch if so what make and model
3. Have you tried swapping ethernet cables with your wife's PC
4. What specification is the PC in terms of CPU etc
5. What network cards are you using
6. Do you use anti virus software on both PC's and is it configured the same.

Well that's the end of the simple questions, hopefully one of them will lead you to an answer if not post your responses and I am sure the forum will try to assist further.

Darren
N/A

Slow Connection.

7. Any firewall software running?
N/A

Slow Connection.

Have you attampted to run th Network Optimiser On th wWin XP machine?
N/A

Slow Connection.

JP,

Sorry for what may seem like obvious/simple questions, but the more info the better:

1. What ADSL router are you using
2. Are you using a hub/switch if so what make and model
3. Have you tried swapping ethernet cables with your wife's PC
4. What specification is the PC in terms of CPU etc
5. What network cards are you using
6. Do you use anti virus software on both PC's and is it configured the same.

Well that's the end of the simple questions, hopefully one of them will lead you to an answer if not post your responses and I am sure the forum will try to assist further.

Darren

Darren.
Thank's for your reply---here's the answer's to your question's.
1.The ADSL Router is a Netgear DG814 4-Port.
2.No.
3.Yes we have tried swapping cables.
4.The Chip I am using is a 1.8 gig AMD---512 DDR Ram.
5.We origially had two Netgear FA331---but the one wouldn't work in my wife's comp---at this stage--my mate brourght over a PCline card and put it in her comp--it was then that she went "Rocket Power'd"--so I went and bought the same card which is in both machine's at the moment---but it hasn't made any difference to my speed.
6.My wife uses PC cillin & AVG----I use Zone Alarm & AVG.
Have tried different Duplex setting's---& the Net Optimizer--all to no avail.

Cheers.
JP.
N/A

Slow Connection.

7. Any firewall software running?

Hi.
Yes-- I run Zone Alarm & AVG.
Thank's.
JP.
N/A

Slow Connection.

Have you attampted to run th Network Optimiser On th wWin XP machine?

Hi Philip.

Yes-- I did run the Optimizer---it said my connection is optimized.
Thank's.
JP.
N/A

Slow Connection.

JP,

Thanks for the comprehensive response, I can only think of three further things to suggest some of which you may already have tried:

1. Disable AVG and Zone-alarm and recheck download speed from a reliable source (safe files). http://tucows.com is aways a good bet.

2. Force the network card IRQ settings so that it is not shared with any other devices (you may have to physical change slots for this to occur).

3. Check for latest network card and motherboard drivers.

You also state that your wife's PC is running AVG and PC cillan which to my knowledge are both antivirus programs (was this a mistake) ?, If not you find that only one of the two programs is actually active.

Darren