cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Slow Connection Speeds

N/A

Slow Connection Speeds

Reading some reports eg: Steven248, I have been experiencing the same slow speeds lately - down from an average 486Kbs to a snail trailing 340Kbs.
I then downloaded Webroot Accelerator Demo version and WOW...what a difference. I am now getting 480 - 490 Kbs and page loading has speeded up by as much as 100%.
I'm well aware the software only changes the MTU settings, but when you are a noghead such as me I'll leave it to the experts and their software to do the job for me. By the way, this is not an advert, only a comment.
4 REPLIES
Dizzley
Grafter

Slow Connection Speeds

Just to complicate things -

I would expect perhaps a max 10% increase from tweaking MTU etc. I would imagine some other cause. My own connection showed very similar drop to 340 for days, then while I was worrying about it Wink, "Boing!" back it went to 440. Then I tweaked with DrTCP and got 469kbps.

There have been a number of such reports this last week from PN users. What is it, sunspots?

I put it down to contention.

/Pete
N/A

Slow Connection Speeds

But -but - but - I'm supposed to be on a 20-1 contention ratio, which, I hasten to add pay extra for that privilege. Why then, if only 20 people are sharing the same pipe of water do I get slow speeds o f 350 dodahs (told you I was a Noghead)!!!
Dizzley
Grafter

Slow Connection Speeds

It's yer law of averages mate. I'm not sure how but peak loads can have an impact.

I'm not 100% convinced on contention 'cos many exchanges haven't got near capacity yet. As I said, I'll do all sorts of measurements myself when I see the effect again: look where the ping delay is etc.

/Pete
N/A

Slow Connection Speeds

Ralane,

Have you thought about manually changing your MTU and tweaking your setup?

If you interested, check out this link MTU Tweak

Have you checked your machine for spyware etc?