cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Slow ADSL??

kiasu
Grafter

Slow ADSL??

Why would my Broadband connection be running so slow.
Results from Plusnets test site come back as:

162.60kbps

Which means you can download at 20.32 KB/sec. from our servers.

Now I dont expect to download at 56KB/sec. but especially at 6am in the morning I would expect 35KB/sec. at least.

Can anyone advise please.

Regards

Mark

3 REPLIES
Phantom_Flan_Fl
Grafter

RE: Slow ADSL??

You should check the service status :

Dear Customers,

"We have been advised by our Network Operations team that they intend to carry out essential maintenance work on our routing and ADSL platforms on the morning of Friday the 7th February 2003.

This work will involve upgrades to router software and adjustment to traffic patterns within our network. During the work ADSL users may experience slower than normal connection speeds. Once the work is completed we do not expect customers to notice any difference in the level of service they receive, however our network will be more stable as a result of these changes.

Further to this, a number of network switches will be rebooted between the hours of 0500 - 0600 on the same day. Users may experience timeouts connecting to the following services while the switches reboot:

Portal Web Servers
DNS Servers
Radius (Password Authentication) Servers
FTP Servers

We would ask that customers planned to avoid using the service at this time and would like to take this opportunity to thank customers in advance for their co-operation."
kiasu
Grafter

> You should check the service status :
>
> Dear Customers,
>
> "We have been advised by our Network Operations team that they intend to carry out essential maintenance work on our routing and ADSL platforms on the morning of Friday the 7th February 2003.
>
> This work will involve upgrades to router software and adjustment to traffic patterns within our network. During the work ADSL users may experience slower than normal connection speeds. Once the work is completed we do not expect customers to notice any difference in the level of service they receive, however our network will be more stable as a result of these changes.
>
> Further to this, a number of network switches will be rebooted between the hours of 0500 - 0600 on the same day. Users may experience timeouts connecting to the following services while the switches reboot:
>
> Portal Web Servers
> DNS Servers
> Radius (Password Authentication) Servers
> FTP Servers
>
> We would ask that customers planned to avoid using the service at this time and would like to take this opportunity to thank customers in advance for their co-operation."

AND YOU SHOULD CHECK THE DATE OF THE SEFVICE STATUS.

"the morning of Friday the 7th February 2003."

N/A

Don't know why though speeds do vary a bit. About 9:45 GMT this morning I ran a couple of tests on Plusnet's checker and clocked 498.20 and 503.50 kbps - close to the 56 KB/sec Mark mentions as outside expectations.
I also clocked @ 445.1 kbps using
http://www.bandwidthplace.com/speedtest/add.html
which is consistent and similar to other tests I've tried there - the lowest has been in the 330s (I think) and compares with dial-up in the low 20s while I was waiting for the line to be enabled.

So as a new user I have no complaints (so far).

John B

(PS I'm running an Athlon XP1700+ 512Mb sdram 60Gb hard disk defragged regularly with Windows 2000)

> Why would my Broadband connection be running so slow.
> Results from Plusnets test site ... 162.60kbps
...Which means you can download at 20.32 KB/sec. ...I dont expect to download at 56KB/sec. but especially at 6am ...would expect 35KB/sec. ...
> Mark