cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Slow ADSL

N/A

Slow ADSL

The ADSL connection has been a bit slow of late. It was lovely and fast before the upgrade, but now it's slowed to a more sedate rate.

I've set up the MRU to 1458 and the RWIN to 65535 (and I tried 14158, or whatever it was, as someone else suggested), but all to no avail. The plusnet bandwidth meter says I get 130Kbps, which is rather better than my modem, but still not what I'd hoped for. ncftp agrees; I get about 13-16KB/sec download from ftp.plus.net.

I sent a file to someone the other day over messenger, and he said it was downloading at 30KB/sec, so the upload speed seems alright. ncftp agrees here too, seems I can upload to ftp.plus.net at >27KB/sec.

Is this going to be down to contention, or have I got my settings wrong? Is there any way I can find out (or guess at) the current contention for my area, other than just dividing 576 by whatever speed I'm really getting?

thanks,

--Tom
14 REPLIES
N/A

RE: Slow ADSL

Visit http://www.dslreports.com/tweaks to check that your settings are at their optimal values.

Tim
rikmoncur
Grafter

running about half speed tonight... settings tweaked to the max.
N/A

> running about half speed tonight... settings tweaked to the max.

Same here,

Ran the speed test and downstream came in about 200.

Is it worth downloading the tweak mentioned above

Nigel
N/A

Your rwin has to be multiplied by 1418 so your current 1 and your previous 1 was no good. try making it 14180 or 12762.
N/A

> Your rwin has to be multiplied by 1418 so your current 1 and your previous 1 was no good. try making it 14180 or 12762.
>

Can this be done by the tweak file mentioned above and if so what would the other settings be

Nigel
N/A

What OS are you on Nigel as i KNOW how to fix it on XP and 98?

Dave
N/A

> What OS are you on Nigel as i KNOW how to fix it on XP and 98?
>
> Dave
>

Dave,

Win 98SE
N/A

> Can this be done by the tweak file mentioned above and if so what would the other settings be
>
> Nigel

You lost me Nigel what tweek file if it's the

http://www.dslreports.com/tweaks

This is not a file but an online programme that checks to see if it can find any probs with your setup, then tells you how to change them. If you are useing 98se also get drtcp to change your settings, you will get this at the site listed above.
N/A

MTU = 1458
RWIN= 256960

On System Mechanic AUTO detect and works good for me.
--
Jason
=====
N/A

Hi Nigel.
Ok for Windows 98. Now firstly im not saying that this will DEFINITELY fix it but im pretty damn sure as i have already done it for XP and 98.

Any first open the registry ( Start -> RUN -> REGEDIT)Then do a search (Edit menu find) and search for 1500. There will be more than one found but if it isnt the one your looking for push F3 and it will look for the next one. (My one is in My Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\system\controlset001\Control\class\{4D36E972-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002bE10318}\000Cool It should be around here. Next scroll down and look for the "MaxTransmit" value. Double click and change it to 1458. Next look for the "RxMaxFrameSize" and "TxMaxFrameSize" and also change these to 1458.

Next restart your computer and download DRtcp available here (http://www.dslreports.com/front/drtcp.html) Once downloaded double click on the file and chnage the "TCP Receive Window" to 65535. I was told this value and it fixed mine but other people may have other values that work fine. Also change the "MaxMTU" setting to 1458. Save the settings and restart and your ADSL should be back to full speed. :rollsmile:

This is how i got mine working again. Hope this helps all of you who are having problems. Also if your on XP, the procedure is exactly the same.

Dave
N/A

> Next restart your computer and download DRtcp available here (http://www.dslreports.com/front/drtcp.html) Once downloaded double click on the file and chnage the "TCP Receive Window" to 65535. I was told this value and it fixed mine but other people may have other values that work fine. Also change the "MaxMTU" setting to 1458. Save the settings and restart and your ADSL should be back to full speed. :rollsmile:

A RWIN of 65535 is too large for the 512 kbps ADSL service. I would suggest a value of 14180 if your MTU is set to 1458.

Tim
Ommin
Grafter

> The ADSL connection has been a bit slow of late. It was lovely and fast before the upgrade, but now it's slowed to a more sedate rate.
>

Same problem here. For the last few days upload speeds have been fine but download speeds have been very poor ( normally in the 200 - 250 Kbps range.) Have tweaked the MTU settings as suggested to no avail.
N/A

> Same problem here. For the last few days upload speeds have been fine but download speeds have been very poor ( normally in the 200 - 250 Kbps range.) Have tweaked the MTU settings as suggested to no avail.

It sounds like we both have the same problem.

I have tweaked the MTU settings in a number of different ways. None made any difference, so I put it back to 1458 MTU and 14180 RWIN, as suggested by Mr Boorman. It's as slow as it was before, which is about 120-160Kbps.

So, back to square 1 again...

--Tom

P.S. I'm pretty sure 1458/14180 were my original settings, and that I got the numbers in my post wrong -- I wrote it after I had changed RWIN to 65535 and seen no change. Anyway, it didn't help Sad
N/A

> I have tweaked the MTU settings in a number of different ways. None made any difference, so I put it back to 1458 MTU and 14180 RWIN, as suggested by Mr Boorman. It's as slow as it was before, which is about 120-160Kbps.

Tom,

Could you please go to http://www.dslreports.com/tweaks, and post the URL of the results page here? The output of a tracert to www.yahoo.com would also be helpful.

Tim