cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Slow ADSL?

N/A

Slow ADSL?

Hello all...

I've only just joined plusnet, and after seemingly endless hours of trying to get the bloody thing working, I eventually managed to link both the computer and my router (4 port, cheap one from dabs, CA64E) together.

Having done all that, I discover that it's barely faster than my 56K at the moment (8Kb/s).

Please... tell me.. it's not ALWAYS like this is it?

The system status doesn't seem to show any problems.. which worries me Sad

Thanks,

Cheung
16 REPLIES
N/A

RE: Slow ADSL?

More specifically.. I'm interested in whether I've set my modem up properly?

Is it a matter of either it working, or not at all?

Or has someone seen this before due to some odd settings somewhere?

(I've followed the instructions on http://www.cazart.plus.com/conexant/)

Cheers,

Cheung
N/A

I doubt its the settings.
Plusnet is generally bad between certian times of day. Its very inconsistant with downloads fluctuating between 5k-20k irratically, around 4pm-12pm. if you wanna download large files do it early day or over night. btinternet does provide much better performance, but as long as webpage flash up at a good rate at ALL times of day im happy. And also as long as there are long periods in the day where i can download at 50kilobytes a second.
At the moment id say that the speed is below what im paying for. Im actually a student so this is taking a large amount out of my money.

N/A

Thanks for that...

Admittedly it is only early days, so I can't really say anything yet, but come on, 2.86Kb/s just doesn't cut it, particularly as a 56K is faster, as well as being a bloody lot cheaper.

Cheung

N/A

> Having done all that, I discover that it's barely faster than my 56K at the moment (8Kb/s).
>
> Please... tell me.. it's not ALWAYS like this is it?

It sounds like something is wrong, it should not be anything like that slow. I'd suggest running the speed test from

http://monitor.plus.net

It could be the site you are downloading from is heavily congested.

Jon.
N/A

For the umpteenth time Plusnet is having speed problems the now. It is currently upgrading equipment but they have had to other upgrades first beacuse of other problems. Im willing to bet that ur username ends in Plusdsl.net. Am i right?

Anyway im not sure when this upgrade takes place. It was supposed to be today but it hasnt happened. The upgrade for Plus.net DSL users has already taken place and they are reporting VERY positive results so keep checking the service status for updates.

Hope this puts you in the picture.

Dave Allan
N/A

> For the umpteenth time Plusnet is having speed problems the now. It is currently upgrading equipment but they have had to other upgrades first beacuse of other problems. Im willing to bet that ur username ends in Plusdsl.net. Am i right?

Indeed it does - but does that mean that I am waiting to be upgraded?

Sorry... it's not been the best of days today, and this isn't contributing, particularly as the only reward after hours of fustration is a download at 4Kb/s.

Thanks

Cheung

N/A

> It sounds like something is wrong, it should not be anything like that slow. I'd suggest running the speed test from
>
> http://monitor.plus.net
>

After having done so, I am proud to report that my download speed is: 26.5Kbps or 65.30kbps (== 8.16 KB/sec).

Just above ISDN 1 channel....

Cheung
N/A

> After having done so, I am proud to report that my download speed is: 26.5Kbps or 65.30kbps (== 8.16 KB/sec).

The two readings are two seperate tests I tried.

Cheung

N/A

read the status page....if think this lot is bad you want to try cable......thats when you have problems,,,,,,,,now having ADSL..im smiling....
N/A

> > After having done so, I am proud to report that my download speed is: 26.5Kbps or 65.30kbps (== 8.16 KB/sec).
>
> The two readings are two seperate tests I tried.
>
> Cheung
>
>

i had similar problems... definitely plusnet's fault. go ask for compensation
Jim
Grafter

Just search the forums for the problems that you are having, its probably been covered many times before.
And no plusnet isn't always slow, I don't have any problems whatsoever with their service, OK its been down a couple of times while they have been upgrading, but ***** happens sometimes.
My current speeds are consistently

Downstream 471 Kbps (58.9 KB/sec) 541 Kbps (inc. overheads)
Upstream 247 Kbps (30.9 KB/sec) 284 Kbps (inc. overheads)

Smiley Smiley Smiley
N/A

If you really want to see how fast your connection is go to Plusnets file vault, where you can download numerous demos, apps etc and try to download one, I think you will be pleasently surprised!

The problem with downloading from popular sites or even those that you think people don't know about is that they are mostly always busy and therefore you have to share the bandwidth, the laws of internet I'm afraid.

https://portal.plus.net/central.html?action=file_vault

regards
doozer

N/A

> If you really want to see how fast your connection is go to Plusnets file vault, where you can download numerous demos, apps etc and try to download one, I think you will be pleasently surprised!
>
> The problem with downloading from popular sites or even those that you think people don't know about is that they are mostly always busy and therefore you have to share the bandwidth, the laws of internet I'm afraid.
>
>
> https://portal.plus.net/central.html?action=file_vault
>
> regards
> doozer
>
>

Indeed I am pleasantly suprised....

But then again, would you be suprised by the speed of a LAN transfer?

The data has to hardly go anywhere in order to reach me.

And I hope I'm not just paying for a super-fast LAN and a dial-up speed internet connection plus a few extra bits and bobs...

Cheung

espresso_mick
Grafter

<The data has to hardly go anywhere in order to reach me.>

Of course it does.......unless you live in the building with the file servers. Smiley