cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Slooow downloads with new pc. Fast with old???

N/A

Hi guys

I have a really puzzling problem. I have just replaced my old Dell Inspiron laptop (built in wifi) with a new Dimension desktop. I use a Dg834gt router and have added a wg111t adaptor to the desktop. My ISP provider gives me a 2mb connection.

Since i set up the new pc i have noticed that downloads are much slower (around 80kbps or less) then my old laptop (150 - 220 kpbs). This morning i decided to try a test placing the laptop next to the pc, using the same network i began to download a video file from a site. I then logged on the same site using my laptop and began to download a similar file.

The speed on the desktop was 81kpbs and the speed on the laptop was 187kpbs immediately. The only difference is that the laptop is running AVG antivirus with windows firewall and the desktop mcafee with windows firewall.

Can anybody help me to get my desktop up to the same speed as the laptop. It really is a mystery to me as the desktop is a much higher spec machine than the laptop.

cheers

Rich

3 REPLIES
N/A

If you havent already installed the latest wg111t drivers you can find them here.

Also remember that USB ports all share the same power, so the more USB things you have connected the slower each USB device will perform. If you have a USB Mouse and Keyboard, maybe a camera etc all hooked up this could seriously effect the speed the adapter can run at.

Also it may be worth creating a restore point in Windows and removing the McAfee or just disabling it. If it doesnt change anything just go back to the restore point you created.

Hope you get it sorted!
N/A

Thanks for the reply mate, much appreciated.

I have already installed the latest drivers and i'm using a powered usb hub - would that mean that the power wouldnr be a problem.

Do you think i'd be better off installing a pci card adaptor?

cheers

rich
N/A

Best thing to do would be to try without the hub, also if your computer doesnt utilize USB 2.0 it probably would be best buying a PCI Card.

A Wireless PCI Card can be bought for a little over £10 online, it may be worth just buying one to see how it goes. If you can use a cable though from the router itself I suggest you do this as its usually a much better connection all round.