cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SlimDevices SqueezeBox / SlimNetwork

N/A

Have a problem with my new SqueezeBox. I can only rarely connect to SqueezeNetwork, and when I can it tends to be in the mornings. Most of the time I just get a cannot connect message, and even when I do get a successful connection it's very slow changing menus, etc. SqueezeNetwork uses port 3483, and I'm pretty sure it's being impacted by PN traffic shaping. Is there any way we can get this port upped in priority? Anyone else on PN having these SqueezeBox / SqueezeNetwork woes?

Moderators note by John (johnessex) Topic moved to the appropriate forum.
20 REPLIES
Dean
Grafter

I'm have 2 slimdevices running at home using Squeeze network fine. Even got it working with AlienBBC - which is less reliable that the squeeze network - in synchronized mode.

Have you used the "Server & Network Health" link on the web interface of slimserver to identify the issue?

Its available on port 9000 of the IP of the slimserver.

so If you have an IP of 192.168.0.100 for the slimserver then its 192.168.0.100:9000

Dean
Dean
Grafter

Does seem they have some issues today though.

http://forums.slimdevices.com/forumdisplay.php?f=10

Have also noticed the slowdown in the menu's.

BUT it is working right now.

dean
deadkenny
Grafter

I have the same problem and going by the postings on SlimDevice's forums most of us having problems are on PlusNet !

http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=27977

Could be pure coincidence but with various problems with traffic shaping it does make me think there could be a connection.

Note, this is an issue connecting from a SqueezeBox to SqueezeNetwork, not with using a SqueezeBox to a SlimServer on my own network.
Dean
Grafter

Could be pure coincidence but with various problems with traffic shaping it does make me think there could be a connection.

There is no connection. I have been using a squeezebox on the slim network with a PlusNet DSL account since version 1 of the box and I've never had a long term issue.

As mentioned previously - I've got 2 synchronised (1 version 1 and 1 version 2) - which requires better buffering and network connectivity that a single box or two version 2 boxes - and its always worked fine.

Looking forward to getting my hands on the transporter though :-)

Dean
N/A

Not convinced...

Why does SqueezeNetwork work perfectly from my work PC (on Telewest) running SoftSqueeze at the same time as it fails even to connect from PlusNet (on hardware SqueezeBox or SoftSqueeze)? This all started about a month ago when I believe PN reconfigured routers and all sorts of services went haywire for me (ntp, rdp, etc.)

P.S. SqueezeBox v1 didn't support SqueezeNetwork
N/A

For clarity...

...this is ONLY an issue with SqueezeNetwork (including Pandora, which is galling as I just paid for a year's subscription.) Internet Radio, AlienBBC etc. are just fine. Is there any way you can check port 3483 on my account? (8Mb TeleWorker)
Dean
Grafter

OK - just got connected to SqueezeNetwork on v2 of Slimbox. And your quite right - I can't synchronise to the V1 version on SqueezeNetwork - never noticed that before. My Bad. :-)

I've managed to get to SlimPicks and KCRW (the top station?) - and the music streams fine (last 5 mins anyway - will keep it playing in the background for a couple of hours to monitor).

I did notice that the menu system was very slow - although it didn't time out or disconnect - it was difficult to get through the menu system.

I'll have a look in the morning re: the port mentioned - and either confirm its correctly identified or when it will be.

Not got an account with Pandorra - mine trial account now lapsed. What are the symptons? If I sort out the port will this solve the Pandorra issues as well or do I need to look deeper?

thanks

Dean
N/A

SqueezeNetwork ports

I talked to the guy at SlimDevices and he says SqueezeNetwork uses ports 3483 (main one) but also whatever the radio stations use (which depend on the station.) Personally, I'd be happy with just 3483 removed from traffic-shaping (if it is being shaped) which should let me get back onto Pandora. I miss it Sad (Wonderful service, for those of you looking on...)

Thanks for your help!

Alan
Dean
Grafter

Just (~ 11pm) got a "connection time out" which has now locked up the V2 box.

I'll get port 3483 sorted and monitor over the next couple of days.

Dean
N/A

Sorry you're having the same issues, but it'd good to have a fellow SqueezeBox user from PN on the case!
Dean
Grafter

OK - just spoke to the network engineers and have raised a ticket for them to action the work.

I've been informed we'll get this actioned today sometime - and I'll monitor it until resolution.

Let me know if you see any improvements - I'm not liable to test mine again until after 10pm tonight.

thanks

Dean
N/A

Hi all,

I've just read this thread with some interest as I have been having the same issues with my new SB3. I'm also a big fan of Pandora but when the problem occurs, the whole UI becomes very clunky and pratically unusable at times.

Thanks for looking into this Dean ... i too will monitor the performance over the next couple of days to see if there's any improvement.

Cheers,
Gavin
deadkenny
Grafter

Just trying it out at the moment and it's still slow. If I manage to get to a radio station to play and select it then after about 10 minutes it will start to play it, then cut out.

I will keep you informed if there's any change.
N/A

Just got home, fired up the SqueezeBox and for the first time *ever* at this time of day got connected to SqueezeNetwork first time. Menus really snappy, streaming sounds great. Dean - you're a star!