cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Slight connection problem

N/A

Slight connection problem

Firstly I would just like to say that I finished setting up my new Plusnet ADSL account last night and it is blisteringly fast so I am a happy man! Thanks for that!

However there is one slight problem which I believe relates to my ADSL line. Let me explain briefly about my odd setup.

I have a phone line in my kitchen which is the main socket. I then have a (self installed) extension socket that plugs into this using a splitter that leads to the living room. The other socket on the splitter in the kitchen has a phone plugged into it. So the socket that is in the living room is the one that I have my ADSL plugged into. I need to use a splitter there as obviously the cable wont plug directly into the wall and I have a phone plugged into it as well. This has created a problem whereby when I switch the PC on the modem cant find the ADSL line. If I unplug the telephone from the socket it finds the line and away I go. I can then plug the telephone straight back in and it all works perfectly. It will then continue to work fine until the PC is powered off when the same thing happens.

Assuming that it is to do with the slightly unconventional socket setup. Essentially the socket in the living room is just an extension of the master and therefore should just be seen as the same socket. This would be fine if I didnt have the splitter already on the socket in the kitchen.

Can somebody briefly explain how the filter system works?

Put simply.

Kitchen - Master Socket - Splitter cable plugged into it one half of which goes into the living room. The other half has a phone plugged into it in the kitchen.

Living room - One socket (Extension from kitchen) which has the ADSL plugged into a filter because the RJ11 socket wont fit the hole. And a phone plugged in.

Would it work if I didnt have a splitter on the extension in the living room (as it is already split)? If so do I just need a cable that goes from RJ11 to a standard BT telephone connector?

Sorry about all the confusion! Imaginge how my head was last night! :-)
3 REPLIES
N/A

RE: Slight connection problem

You want to send the signal unsplit into your living room. Most telephone extensions use a plug with an extra RJ11 female plug on it so that you can plug a second phone into the socket from which you're running the extension. If yours does, you're in business. If not, then you need to buy a 2-way RJ11 adapter for your phone socket.

Assuming that you have either of the above you can plug the extension cable directly into the phone socket and then plug an ADSL splitter into the spare RJ11 socket on the extension/2 way adapter. You can then connect your kitchen phone to the phone socket on the ADSL splitter.

In the living room plug your second ADSL splitter into the end of the extension cable. You can then hang your PC and living room phone off this. I have a similar setup at home, and I've no problems with phones interfering with ADSL.
N/A

> Firstly I would just like to say that I finished setting up my new Plusnet ADSL account last night and it is blisteringly fast so I am a happy man! Thanks for that!
>
> However there is one slight problem which I believe relates to my ADSL line. Let me explain briefly about my odd setup.
>
> I have a phone line in my kitchen which is the ...
when the same thing happens.
>
> Assuming that it is to do with the slightly ...>
> Can somebody briefly explain how the filter system works?
>
> Put simply.
>
> Kitchen - Master Socket - Splitter cable plugged into it one half of which goes into the living room. The other half has a phone plugged into it in the kitchen.
>
> Living room - One socket (Extension from kitchen) which has the ADSL plugged into a filter because the RJ11 socket wont fit the hole. And a phone plugged in.
>
> Would it work if I didnt have a splitter on the extension in the living room (as it is already split)? If so do I just need a cable that goes from RJ11 to a standard BT telephone connector?
>
> Sorry about all the confusion! Imaginge how my head was last night! :-)

I had a similar problem with my initial setup. Sorted it by buying a SpeedTouch 570 router with a wireless PCMCIA card for my laptop. So much more convenient.
N/A

Thanks for the advice Dan. I will give it a bit of tweaking tonight.