cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sleepy Modem

N/A

Sleepy Modem

Hi,

I was very happy yesterday to be able to use my ADSL for the first time and it's great! However I have come accross a problem which i am not to sure what to do about.

What happens is that i am surfing the net or playing online games, and at random points from being online 20 minutes or over an hour the internet just seems to stop. The pages do not load up and my games time out. This has happened every time i have connected to the internet and i can only get my connection back by rebooting my computer. One thing I did notice was that when this happened the lights on the modem (supplied by PlusNet) were all off. I would appreciate any feedback in advance. Thanks.
36 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Sleepy Modem

info required:

Modem type: USB / PCI card / Router?
windows version?
Mother board chipset - VIA?
Unvalued customer since 2001 funding cheap internet for others / DSL/Fibre house move 24 month regrade from 8th May 2017
N/A

Sleepy Modem

if this is the Dynamode A360 USB modem, i have exactly the same problem.
N/A

Sleepy Modem

oh and running windows ME
Ianwild
Grafter

Sleepy Modem

Motherboard make is actually the most important thing here. Via motherboards especially can have problems with USB ADSL modems. In that case the best thing to do is buy an external powered USB hub, whcih yu should be able to pickup for between £10 and £20.

Regards,
N/A

Sleepy Modem

Yea i have Windows ME, USB modem and my motherboard is MSI i think. This help?
N/A

Sleepy Modem

check power management seting on a360 in device manager allow the computer to turn off this device to save power box should not be ticked hopes this helps
N/A

Sleepy Modem

thanks rob, i'll c wot happens.....
Brickinit
Grafter

Sleepy Modem

this is the best thing about these forums, i have had problems whilst on the net with locking up and and having to hit the reset since building this machine,tried different browsers, CPU temperture and disconecting phoneline for half to one hour not knowing if this had been a cure as problem is very intermitant, and then low and behold through someone else's problem i hear that via chips likley to be the problem.have changed power settings will see how it goes

malc
N/A

Sleepy Modem

i have altered the power setting but stil no luck Cry I dunno what to do next. Is my connection doomed?
Ianwild
Grafter

Sleepy Modem

As I say, trying a powered USB hub or a different type of modem is probably your next best bet. It has to be better than a 'doomed' connection :twisted:

Regards,
N/A

Sleepy Modem

yea will do, do you have any reccomendations or sites i can get them from? The USB hub that is. Thanks :lol:
N/A

Sleepy Modem

Any and all.

I would however, recomend the make Belkin. These are a very good make in the USB hub depertment.
N/A

Sleepy Modem

Thanks, just having a quick look on PCWorld i have found this one

http://www.pcworld.co.uk/store/martprd.dll/store/pcw_page.jsp?BV_SessionID=@@@@1550476702.1056371994...

Would this be fine?
N/A

Sleepy Modem

no that no external power on that 1 mate have look at BELKIN
BKN USB OE4P HUB on same site the one u get must be exernal powered or u still have same problem m8