cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

N/A

Forgive my ignorance but does Skype and other VoIP programmes use alot of bandwidth.

For example how many Mb for a 5 minute call.

Just wondering as since I have installed Skype, my monthly bandwidth usage has gone from an average of 1 GB to around 3 GB, but I am only making about an hour of calls plus the same of chat per month. Surely this cannot be the reason?

I don't download films or telly programmes so I don't understand the jump in usage all of a sudden. The only other thing is some malicious spyware got onto my PC about 2 weeks ago so the computer has been constantly coming up with ad websites even when the browser was off. Fixed now but could this be the reason.

Tried to call Plus Net but they are quoting 40 mins to answer a call. At least they were trying to be honest, I suppose.

Any ideas anyone.
5 REPLIES
N/A

yea VoIP uses a lot of bandwidth, you can use a tool to monitor them all to see what kinda bw you are using, but yea in general it uses a lot.
N/A

What does your VMBU show as your usage for each of the protocols?
pacem
Grafter

Skype uses p2p so really you are getting all the lagginess of p2p when using it as VoIP and all the traffic of VoIP when it's being used by other people as p2p.
(b = bits B=Bytes)
Standard VoIP uses about 100kb/s or 12.5kB/s which eqautes to about 750KB per minute or 45MB per hour.
However the standard SIP services need to keep registered and they do it every 3 seconds or so, so a normal (e.g. PN phone) SIP phone may use 1GB of data in a month just on stand by.

Skype does similar because it has to keep your firewall open since it only makes out-bound connections. On top of that IIRC Skype is peer-2-peer so you may well find your connection is used to pass on some registration and voice data for other users.

So if you're on PAYG, VoIP costs an extra £1.50 per month just ot be on, and then 1p for every 10 minutes. Skype I guess is similar but there is that unknown p2p element...
(oh and it costs about £12 a month if you leave your PC on 24/7 to receive calls.)

Paul.<><
N/A

Blimey and not so cheap after all.

Cheers for the info. Is the £12 per month figure for bandwidth usage?

Ta
pacem
Grafter

Err no it's electric on top of all the other costs:

The basic rule of thumb is:
(This assumes electric at 10p per KWh which may be a little high.)
a device costs £1 per Watt per Year to run so a 150W computer costs £150 per year in electric. (Yes your computer probably burns more than 150W) I just divided 150W by 12months (ish). Considering the power for your phone is insignificant and you've paid for it already the £12 is a good measure of how much in calls you need to save by not using BT in order to save money.

Paul.<><
PS I'm an eviro- myzer; I have a laptop (50W max) and use a hardware VoIP phone which only uses 5W.