cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sjould my line support 2meg?

N/A

Hi,

just been upgraded from 512k to 1meg. Question is should my line be able to support 2meg? I think my figures are probably borderline - waht do you folks think?

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
Connection Speed 1152 kbps 288 kbps
Line Attenuation 42 db 24 db
Noise Margin 11 db 28 db

I am using a netgear DG834 plugged directly into the master socket, these figures are as reported by the router. The downstream attenuation does vary between 40 - 43 db.

Cheers,
Paul
5 REPLIES
Alecto
Grafter

Possibly, if your router figures are correct.
Downstream is what counts, as that's the direction the 2Mb will be coming.

The max.attenuation technically for 2Mb is 43db downstream, and you would seem to come just under this, so that's OK.
Your SNR (Margin) downstream is a bit borderline though, as it's generally regarded that you need over 10db for a stable line, and the more the better.

I'm fine on 2Mb with a higher attenuation than yours, but my SNR is double yours, which helps a lot.

I'd have thought it not unlikely that you could run at 2Mb, but then not be too surprised if you couldn't with that SNR. It would be worth a try.
N/A

Thanks for the reply Geoff, guess I better speak to plusnet then!

Regards,
Paul
N/A

Checking Line Speeds

Use the following link and input your phone number. It should tell you that you are ADSL enabled and what you max line speed is. If you get less, you can always speak to PlusNet, but there again, most of us are eagerly awaiting upgrades.
http://support.mailbox.net.uk/adsl/adslfront.php?id=bbhelp
Hope it helps.
Mike
N/A

These are my settings, will i be able to get 2mb? If not how can i clean up my line?

DSL Status
Connection Status Connected
Upstream Rate (Kbps) 288
Downstream Rate (Kbps) 576
US Margin 23
DS Margin 23
Modulation GDMT
LOS Errors 18
DS Line Attenuation 48
US Line Attenuation 63
Path Mode Fast Path
Alecto
Grafter

@usintheuk
Your downstream attenuation is over the 43 db limit for 2Mb, though well within the 60 db limit for 1Mb. But your SNR/Margin is high, so although you are technically out of the 2Mb range, you'll probably be OK for it if BT will give it a try.

There's nothing you can do to improve the figures much - unless you connect to the BT mastersocket and the figures are a lot better. But that's unlikely unless your extension wiring is really really bad.