cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Single port Router wanted - any recommendations ?

N/A

Hi all,

Decided I want to repalce the usb modem I got when I joined plusnet.

Can any one recommend a reasonably priced modem/router - I already have a network switch so a multiport router would be just be duplication.

thanks in advance,

DinAlt
11 REPLIES
N/A

I was very impressed with Netgears DM602, I don’t have one, but I set one up for my sister a couple of weeks ago. Following the instructions provided, the setup went with out a hitch, apart from when I forgot its username@plusdsl.net not just username. Broadband Buyer has the 602 for £57.99 about £65 with delivery.
csogilvie
Grafter

I use a SAR110 which has now been superceded by the SAR 130. This is the router that PlusNet supply and came from Solwise. http://www.solwise.co.uk/modems.htm#SAR130
grahamv
Grafter

I upgraded with the ebuyer "own label" 4-port ADSL router - which turns out to be the Origo ASR-8400. Current price is £32 plus VAT. It provides 4 ethernet ports plus the added benefit of one USB port - I used that until I added a LAN card to my main machine.

No substantial problems setting up - just "load & go" after upgrading the firmware to latest release (which appears to be essential from the ebuyer forum).

If you don't want the full 4 ports, there is a single port version (ASR-8000), which is about £6 cheaper - you wonder how they can go so low for such a product.

Oh, BTW, the ASR-8400 also quite happily acts as a 100 megabit hub to the four machines connected to it at various points around the house.
N/A

I upgraded with the ebuyer "own label" 4-port ADSL router - which turns out to be the Origo ASR-8400. Current price is £32 plus VAT. It provides 4 ethernet ports plus the added benefit of one USB port - I used that until I added a LAN card to my main machine.

Yeah, I use this 4 port router. Is very good and the latest firmware has a built in firewall Wink

Steve
the_norris
Grafter

A question to stevendavis or any one with the ASR-8400.

How does this router cope with a large numbe of connection - IE P2P programs etc.
N/A

Hi morrisinc, here http://adsltech.7host.com/forum/default.asp should have an answer or somewhere you can post up your query......
Chris
the_norris
Grafter

I did post a message there some time ago - did not get a reply.

Phil
N/A

mwright recommends ASR with p2p in a post here
You get what you pay for really, more money will buy more memory and
better chipset, the ASR seems to be a bargain the SAR130 is
a good unit with more features or Speedtouch 510.
Buying a 4port router doesn't just get you extra ports, you'll get a
better chipset more memory advanced firewall, UPnP support
better power supply so consider Netgear DG834, D Link DSL504 ,
Speedtouch.
Alec
N/A

Hi all,

Thanks for the replies,

I ordered one of the one port router's from ebuyer (the ASR 8000) since I already have a switch - hopefully it'l be man enough for the job (fairly light use really). has any one any idea whether it'll need a crossover cable to link with my switch or will a straight through be ok (the switch doesn't have an up link port).

DinAlt
N/A

A question to stevendavis or any one with the ASR-8400.

How does this router cope with a large numbe of connection - IE P2P programs etc.

No problem at all. All flies along as long as you forward the correct ports Wink .
I also have a ps2 connected to it (I'm a sony beta tester) which I have in the DMZ. connects to any server with no problems Wink
Hope this help you, if you need anymore info, let me know.

Steve
the_norris
Grafter

Hi

Thanks for the replys about th ASR-8400 - the problems I'm having with my solwsie SAR110 router is the max number of NAT sessions. - max of 500 allowed.

So I have to limit the max connections programs like e-mule can make so that other serives work ok - Eg three PCs web surfing plus e-mail - streaming media etc.

Did thing to switch the Solwise router to ZIPB mode - Ie the WAN IP is passed though -(acts as a dump adsl modeam) - then build a smoothwall box on an old PC to do the NAT work .

Phil