cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Simple Network Problem

N/A

Simple Network Problem

I have windows xp pro on one machine and win 98 on another, in the xp machine i have an adsl pci modem. As soon as i install a network card (tried 3) my adsl connection to plus net signs in and varifies my password ok but i am unable to surf the net, i can ping plusnet ok but nobody else. The 2 pc's are conected directly with a crossover cable. Sad Any ideas to sort this out?
23 REPLIES
N/A

Simple Network Problem

Its a bit unclear what the problem is. Can both pc's see each other?
On the Xp machine you should have dns set to +net and may need to set the default gateway to the ip of the adsl modem. If you dont set the gate way then its looking on th elocal network for the net.

The network cards should be set to a internal ip like 10.0.0.1 subnet 255.255.255.0 so pc one would be 10.0.0.1 and the second pc would be 10.0.0.2. Both should be in the same workgroup

The 98 pc should have the Xp pc as the gateway and have dns set to +net.
N/A

Simple Network Problem

I have set the adsl modem to my static ip for +net and the xp network ip to 192.168.0.1 and the win 98 pc ip to 192.168.0.2 The two computers can share folders ok.
N/A

Simple Network Problem

1/ When you say you can ping +Net OK, what IP are you pinging ?? I suspect you may be pinging local and not external.

2/ Are you sure that it is not an IRQ conflict ??. Try moving the modem or net card to another slot.

3/ What error messages are you getting when you say you cannot surf the net. If it is "dns error" then try setting DNS servers to : Primary 212.159.13.49 secondary 212.159.13.50
N/A

Simple Network Problem

The IP address that i can ping is212.159.119.133. There is no IRQ conflict displayed in device manager. The error message that i am getting is the standars one that comes with IE about not being able to find web site. My DNS settings are set at 212.159.13.49 and 212.159.13.50
N/A

Simple Network Problem

OK.

Try doing a ping on 216.239.39.99

If this works, it sounds like a simple DNS issue. You must make sure that there is no firewall or other block in blace, from performing a DNS lookup request.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Simple Network Problem

To throw a spanner in at a guess you're using ICS? I stopped using it cause it was buggy and I've forgotten the reason why this happens, but its a network settings issue that's stopping it.

Posted more to help the questioners than you so they can ask the right question.
Unvalued customer since 2001 funding cheap internet for others / DSL/Fibre house move 24 month regrade from 8th May 2017
N/A

Simple Network Problem

I just got a message via PM. For the benefit of the comunity, ti would be better to keep it here.

I tried to ping the address 216.239.39.99 before i did anything to my pc and the request timed out. Any idea why?

OK, some things you can do.

1: Click "Start", "Run"

2: Type "command" and click OK

3: Type "ipconfig -all" and hit return

4: Paste all the output here.
XP: Right click and select mark, you can then select the area
9*: Select the mark tool from the top, then select the area

This should usualy mark if it is a subnetting issue, or if there are other problme in the works.
N/A

Simple Network Problem

I hope i did this right. This is the info i get.

Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]

C:\Documents and Settings\Administrater>ipconfig /all

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : home
Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . : c16850.find-quick.com
Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Unknown
IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : Yes
DNS Suffix Search List. . . . . . : c16850.find-quick.com
find-quick.com

PPP adapter ADSL PCI Modem:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : WAN (PPP/SLIP) Interface
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-53-45-00-00-00
Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No
IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 212.159.119.133
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.255
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 212.159.119.133
DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 212.159.13.49

C:\Documents and Settings\Administrater>
N/A

Simple Network Problem

They look pretty much OK.

However, it does seem like you may have some spyware on your system.

The find-quick.com information available by searching google sugested this as a major cause of issue like this.

I can only sugest trying to download a spyware killer, and rid yourself of the issue.

I was gonna sugest trying to place a download into the FTP queue, but I can't find the details needed (site is down).
N/A

Simple Network Problem

I have uninstalled my antivirus program, and now the network is working ok except for the fact that i can't surf the web from the win 98 pc. My antivirus program is McAfee ver 7 can i re install it without a problem?
N/A

Simple Network Problem

Are you running Mcafee Firewall 4 with VirusScan 7? If you are then you need to go into advanced and run home metwork setup. Click on search button and select the IP address of networked PC to allow Internet access.
N/A

Simple Network Problem

I am running firwall ver 4 and as soon as i enable it i lose my conection. When i try and setup the homenetwork with firewall it says that no computers are attached to the net work, which is incorrect as the two pc are comunicating. I am still unable to surf the web with the win 98 pc.
N/A

Simple Network Problem

Ok try uninstalling the Firewall and rebooting. See if you can then get internet access. If you can then it seems the Firewall got corupted. Try re-installing VirusScan and Firewall.
N/A

Simple Network Problem

No good still no access with the win 98 pc.