cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Simple I hope question

N/A

Simple I hope question

A thought has just struck me...... my wifes laptop has a built in ADSL modem,so when broadband reaches these backwoods can we both plug into the same telephone socket via a double adaptor or is broadband life not as simple as that? it would certainly save a lot of networking headaches if she was able to simple plug into the wall socket as well as myself.

Ian & Linda Jordan
5 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Simple I hope question

You can only have one piece of ADSL connection equipment per telephone line.

Its the same idea as only being able to make one call at once on a phone line. If you pick up the extension, its already 'engaged'.

Barry.
N/A

Simple I hope question

Hi,

If you don't have a bradband modem yet then you could consider buying a combined modem/router like the Netgear DG814. I've just recently installed mine, and it really couldn't have been much simpler unless it had jumped out of the box and plugged itself in... Well ok.. I had some problems with my internal phone lines but that was my fault!! Shockedops:

It has a 4 port switch at the back so providing you and your good lady wife have Network adapters (very cheap for desktop PCs) then you can both surf away at the same time. The box costs around £100 so there maybe other cheaper solutions out there....
There's also the Solwise 715 and the D-Link 504 which have both been given favourable mentions on this forum and are areound the same price.

Cheers,
R.
N/A

Simple I hope question

I thought the double adapter idea was too simple,I assume that would work ok if only one of us was online at a time (the situation we have now).

ADSL is still a couple of months down the road yet,so if I may I'd like to get clear in my mind what I need exactly.The idea is to connect the wife's laptop by wireless.So do I need a network card or an internal modem for my desktop that the goes to a wireless router,and then a wireless network card to slot into her laptop.In other words I am looking for a shopping list of things I need to get
Because although I will in all probability go ADSL with Plusnet I cannot find out what is in the "starter pack",I imagine just the bare bones to get you going,so would think I would still have to buy other bits,so might as well get the lot myself,and just get the ADSL line installed,which because I have "Home Highway" I will have to anyway,I've no choice in that.It's just that I would like to have everything to hand when the line goes live.I don't know how far the engineer would go as far as actually getting one online ie pluging things in etc or if that is left up to me,and he/she just does the wiring.

While we are talking networks I notice that in the device manager the card I use to connect to ISDN is listed under "network adapter" is that the same thing?

Thanks for the replies,and any thoughts appreciated

Ian & Linda Jordan
N/A

Simple I hope question

Hi,

Netgear do a wireless version of the DG814.. called the DG824M
http://www.netgear.com/products/prod_details.asp?prodID=165&view=
It' about £30 pounds dearer and it still has 4 ports on the back for normal wired connection. It uses 802.11b and you'd need to check that your wireless network card supported this. I don't know much about the different standards but I think most network casrds will support 11.b coz it's been around for a while.

My netgear came with everything required to get started including a Cat5 Ethernet cable and a Line Filter so there's no reason that you wont be up and running once the modem arrives.

Hope this helps,
Richard.
Community Veteran

Simple I hope question

I thought the double adapter idea was too simple,I assume that would work ok if only one of us was online at a time (the situation we have now).

You will have problems if both PC's are plugged in at the same time, even if one is not connected to the net.
There would be nothing to stop you using each PC individualy as long as the other was unplugged.
But the suggestions above are the best way ahead (providing the laptop has a network card) with a multi port router.
4 port routers are available for around £60 these days.