cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Signs of Activation

mitchell20
Grafter

Signs of Activation

I'm not due to be activated until Wednesday but I've spoken to another person in my area and his ADSL modem light is on. My exchange became ADSL enabled on the 11th.

My router ADSL light is not yet on but I've noticed that when I pick up an un-filtered phone I can hear a high pitch intermitant tone, on plugging in a filter this tone disappears - is this a sign of activation?

I've read that ADSL produces clicking noises on an un-filtered phone - is this high pitch intermitant tone what they mean?

It also seems strange as this has only started to occur today - on Sunday. I always thought BT engineers didn't perform activations at the weekends?

Cheers
James
10 REPLIES
N/A

Signs of Activation

Not normaly, but with new exchanges, they may tend to clear the larger bulk order backlog.

What happens without a filter, and the router unplugged?

If the noise goes away, then it does sounds like ADSL.

Not all routers will show the are synced by there lights. Instead, the light only signifies it is connected and authenticated.
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

Signs of Activation

Hi James,

The noise is most likely going to be the router. Without a filter on one of the phones the router will generate some of its own noise on the line.
With the new exchanges the lines do tend to come on early, keep an eye on the sync light.
mitchell20
Grafter

Signs of Activation

Thanks

With the filter unplugged and the router unplugged the noise does go away pointing to the router generating the noise.

It's a Netgear DG834G router - It's been plugged in for about 2 weeks now and it's only today the line noise started.

Looking at the manual:
ADSL light -
blinking amber = indicated ADSL training
on green = internet port has detected a link with an attached device
blinking green = data transmission

Guess I'll have to wait for a blinking amber light!!!

I've waited almost 12 months now for ADSL so another few days wont make much difference!!!!
N/A

Signs of Activation

Hi,

I ordered last monday at 1pm and i was online 2 days later at 6pm

So keep trying to connect Smiley
mitchell20
Grafter

Signs of Activation

I think is was probably a false alarm as I unplugged the filter connected to my router and plugged it back in.....it must not have been plugged in properly the first time as it was since this that I can hear the high pitch noises on an un-filtered phone......all phones are now filtered and I'm sat next to my router sweat talking the ADSL light to wink at me!!!!!

I really really should get out more!!!!!! hehe :lol: :lol:
csogilvie
Grafter

Signs of Activation

What lights do you have on at the moment?
mitchell20
Grafter

Signs of Activation

power light, wireless light and LAN port lights
mitchell20
Grafter

Signs of Activation

Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Way hey!!!!!!

ADSL light now on..........BT log-on works

Just waiting for Plus.net to activate my account now :!: :!: :!:
Community Veteran

Signs of Activation

If you have your PlusNet logon details use those in place of the BT ones and you will be automaticially activated. It may fail the first few times it tries to login to PlusNets network but when it does succeed, you are activated.
mitchell20
Grafter

Signs of Activation

Yep....fully activated here now and surfing high speed!!!!