cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Should i use long phone cable or long CAT5 from phonepoint?

N/A

Should i use long phone cable or long CAT5 from phonepoint?

Im waiting for my ADSL line to be activated at the moment, but i was just wondering how the best way to set it up in my house would be....

my room is upstairs and the phonebox is downstairs so at the moment i am using a 15M phone cable to use my with normal 56k modem.

I was just wondering if, when the ADSL is active, whether i should use the same cable and just plug the splitter into that, then use short cat5 to the ADSL modem,

or

use a long CAT5 cable from the phonebox point with the splitter and do it that way..

any ideas?
would it make any difference? im presuming that maybe CAT5 would be shielded more and possibly give a better connection, or is it really not going to make a difference?

one other thing, since i had the ADSL phone line test done on this number, my 56k connection speeds have been reduced to sometimes around 28.8>40.kbps, is this normal? i usually get 49.9kbps
I know the analogue quality is supposed to drop once ADSL is activated and u havent put the splitter in yet, but i have only just had the linetest done and it is only since that day that i have had the problem.

cheers

--
cRuNcHiE
9 REPLIES
N/A

RE: Should i use long phone cable or long CAT5 from phonepoi

I dont see were the CAT5 is coming in to the equation. From the phone connection a nomal extention is all that is required and a splitter isnt required up stairs unless you have a phone there as well.

CAT5 is normaly for networks are you meaning that you would make a phone extention from CAT5?

I have normal cheepo extention off the market and it makes no diffrence, I have plugged straight into the main phone box as well and its just the same.

I theory it could gain an extra k or 2 but in practice I see no diffrence. The modem may get worse as there could be more noise on the line.

> Im waiting for my ADSL line to be activated at the moment, but i was just wondering how the best way to set it up in my house would be....
>
> my room is upstairs and the phonebox is downstairs so at the moment i am using a 15M phone cable to use my with normal 56k modem.
>
> I was just wondering if, when the ADSL is active, whether i should use the same cable and just plug the splitter into that, then use short cat5 to the ADSL modem,
>
> or
>
> use a long CAT5 cable from the phonebox point with the splitter and do it that way..
>
> any ideas?
> would it make any difference? im presuming that maybe CAT5 would be shielded more and possibly give a better connection, or is it really not going to make a difference?
>
>
> one other thing, since i had the ADSL phone line test done on this number, my 56k connection speeds have been reduced to sometimes around 28.8>40.kbps, is this normal? i usually get 49.9kbps
> I know the analogue quality is supposed to drop once ADSL is activated and u havent put the splitter in yet, but i have only just had the linetest done and it is only since that day that i have had the problem.
>
>
> cheers
>
>
>
>
> --
> cRuNcHiE

N/A

I see, i thought that when u plug the splitter into the phonesocket,the ADSL connection on the spliiter was the same as a network connection, which is where cat5 comes into place.

On every ADSL installation ive seen, thats how it comes as it is in theory, a network connection.

Is the ADSL connector on the splitter just a standard phone socket then?
N/A

It's a modem cable similar to those used by conventional 56K models (with the small square RJ11-type plug - it'll be provided with the modem). You only get an ethernet connection from the modem to the PC if you buy a combination modem/router (such as the DLink DSL-504 that I have or the Netgear DG814), otherwise it'll be a USB connection if it's an external unit.
I run a 10m standard phone extension line from the main phone point up to my computer room, with a splitter on the end of that. Works perfectly Smiley

GM

N/A

> one other thing, since i had the ADSL phone line test done on this number, my 56k connection speeds have been reduced to sometimes around 28.8>40.kbps, is this normal? i usually get 49.9kbps
> I know the analogue quality is supposed to drop once ADSL is activated and u havent put the splitter in yet, but i have only just had the linetest done and it is only since that day that i have had the problem.
>

On each of the two ADSL lines I've had installed I noticed a drop in dailup speeds when ADSL was enabled. Apparently this does not happen in all cases though.

Unless you had a problem with the line test its also pretty usual for the line to be enabled on the same day as the line test (or the next day). If you've got your ADSL kit, set it up and see if the modem syncs. If it does, chase up plusnet to activate your account and away you go.

Remember you will need to set your MTU & RWIN as per plusnet recommendations as the windows default causes packet fragmentation see here:

http://portal.plus.net/supportpages.html?bvIkeqvfDEk%3D

Easiest way to do this is to download DrTCP from here (note you must reboot immediately after making changes):

http://www.dslreports.com/front/drtcp.html

After you've done this do the tweak test to check everything looks okay:

http://www.dslreports.com/tweaks

Happy speeding
N/A

cheers for your replies! seems the line is active, i can hear the 3 ticks on the phone every so often that ive heard about...
not got the hardware yet though Sad

see u in Broadband land in a bit!

> > one other thing, since i had the ADSL phone line test done on this number, my 56k connection speeds have been reduced to sometimes around 28.8>40.kbps, is this normal? i usually get 49.9kbps
> > I know the analogue quality is supposed to drop once ADSL is activated and u havent put the splitter in yet, but i have only just had the linetest done and it is only since that day that i have had the problem.
> >
>
> On each of the two ADSL lines I've had installed I noticed a drop in dailup speeds when ADSL was enabled. Apparently this does not happen in all cases though.
>
> Unless you had a problem with the line test its also pretty usual for the line to be enabled on the same day as the line test (or the next day). If you've got your ADSL kit, set it up and see if the modem syncs. If it does, chase up plusnet to activate your account and away you go.
>
> Remember you will need to set your MTU & RWIN as per plusnet recommendations as the windows default causes packet fragmentation see here:
>
> http://portal.plus.net/supportpages.html?bvIkeqvfDEk%3D
>
> Easiest way to do this is to download DrTCP from here (note you must reboot immediately after making changes):
>
> http://www.dslreports.com/front/drtcp.html
>
> After you've done this do the tweak test to check everything looks okay:
>
> http://www.dslreports.com/tweaks
>
> Happy speeding
>

N/A

I have been having frequent, random disconnection/reconnection problems with my PCI modem and have been told by PlusNet to try plugging directly into the master socket because "it is not advised to use ADSL on an extension as its very likely to cause this sort of problem"

If this solves the problem, I would be interested to hear what the alternatives are - I had considered a 10m long modem cable myself !

Mike.

P.S. Apparently, changeing MTU & RWIN settings will only help with speed issues so it is not always necessary to change them. My speeds are fine, so I've left them as defaults.

> cheers for your replies! seems the line is active, i can hear the 3 ticks on the phone every so often that ive heard about...
> not got the hardware yet though Sad
>
> see u in Broadband land in a bit!
>
>
>
> > > one other thing, since i had the ADSL phone line test done on this number, my 56k connection speeds have been reduced to sometimes around 28.8>40.kbps, is this normal? i usually get 49.9kbps
> > > I know the analogue quality is supposed to drop once ADSL is activated and u havent put the splitter in yet, but i have only just had the linetest done and it is only since that day that i have had the problem.
> > >
> >
> > On each of the two ADSL lines I've had installed I noticed a drop in dailup speeds when ADSL was enabled. Apparently this does not happen in all cases though.
> >
> > Unless you had a problem with the line test its also pretty usual for the line to be enabled on the same day as the line test (or the next day). If you've got your ADSL kit, set it up and see if the modem syncs. If it does, chase up plusnet to activate your account and away you go.
> >
> > Remember you will need to set your MTU & RWIN as per plusnet recommendations as the windows default causes packet fragmentation see here:
> >
> > http://portal.plus.net/supportpages.html?bvIkeqvfDEk%3D
> >
> > Easiest way to do this is to download DrTCP from here (note you must reboot immediately after making changes):
> >
> > http://www.dslreports.com/front/drtcp.html
> >
> > After you've done this do the tweak test to check everything looks okay:
> >
> > http://www.dslreports.com/tweaks
> >
> > Happy speeding
> >
>
>

N/A

If you are going to use an adsl modem then it'll have to be a long phone cable. If you are going to use an adsl router then either will do and both should just work. If you ever want to use the phone while sitting at the computer, then its a long phone cable with a splitter at the end.
N/A

My 4 port standalone router is at the end of a 30m (approx) phone extension and works fine although the splitters along the extension can cause line drops if they are in a certain order (I have absolutely no idea why - they all work fine individually). I then chuck a 20m CAT 5 from the router around the house as and when required. Strangely, my router will not work when connected to a separate cheapo 15m tel extension plugged directly into the master socket. So it's not really an exact science I'm afraid!
N/A

for information..in my master socket is a 3 way phone adaptor....in one of the sockets I have a spliter then a 2 way extension for the phone and the setelite connection.........in another connection from the 3 way adaptor is an extension to the spare bedroom fitted with a splitter for the phone and computer.I was`nt supplied with the correct cable to connect the ADSL to the splitter and the shortest cable which I could find was 15Mts long? this is coiled up behind the computer?? I have no problems here with cable length

> Im waiting for my ADSL line to be activated at the moment, but i was just wondering how the best way to set it up in my house would be....
>
> my room is upstairs and the phonebox is downstairs so at the moment i am using a 15M phone cable to use my with normal 56k modem.
>
> I was just wondering if, when the ADSL is active, whether i should use the same cable and just plug the splitter into that, then use short cat5 to the ADSL modem,
>
> or
>
> use a long CAT5 cable from the phonebox point with the splitter and do it that way..
>
> any ideas?
> would it make any difference? im presuming that maybe CAT5 would be shielded more and possibly give a better connection, or is it really not going to make a difference?
>
>
>
>
> cheers
>
>
>
>
> --
> cRuNcHiE