Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Should I change accounts?

Claremac
Grafter

Hi,

I have had ADSL Home Self-install for 5 months and am very happy with it. The recent price derease has made me wonder whether I am using the right account though. The Self-Install is £21.99 and the Home Surf is £18.99. As far as I can see the only benefits of the more expensive account are peer-to-peer and binary newsgroup access. Is this right? I don't use either so at the moment I'm wasting £3 per month.
Could somebody please explain binary newsgroups to me - what they are, how you access them etc. I understand peer-to-peer but don't think I will use it. Before I decide whether to change accounts, I'd like to know what, if anything, I am missing. Any advice gratefully received.

Regards

Clare McFadden
4 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Re: Should I change accounts?

Hi,

I have had ADSL Home Self-install for 5 months and am very happy with it. The recent price derease has made me wonder whether I am using the right account though. The Self-Install is £21.99 and the Home Surf is £18.99. As far as I can see the only benefits of the more expensive account are peer-to-peer and binary newsgroup access. Is this right? I don't use either so at the moment I'm wasting £3 per month.
Could somebody please explain binary newsgroups to me - what they are, how you access them etc. I understand peer-to-peer but don't think I will use it. Before I decide whether to change accounts, I'd like to know what, if anything, I am missing. Any advice gratefully received.

Regards

Clare McFadden

Clare
I don't use the news groups but the another big difference between the accounts is the webspace you are allocated.
if you need more than 25 meg (I have used about 55 meg so far) then you only get the 250 meg space with the dearer account.
You may think that you will never ever need 250 meg for your web site but remember that it can also be used just as a storage space.
I use it to store and provide a backup for my digital camera images saving me disk space on the PC here.
Claremac
Grafter

Hi,

John, I hadn't noticed the difference in webspace but I don't think it would matter as I don't use it anyway. I have a 30 Gb hard drive and an 80Gb I use for imaging, both video and stills so I am not short of space.
One thing that has come up though is whether the contention rate on each account is the same. I have checked on the portal and it clearly states that the Home account is 50:1 but I can't find any info on the Home Surf ratio. Does anyone know please?

Regards

Clare
N/A

These are dictated by the products that BT resell.

BT currently only do 20:! and 50:1.

Looking at the price, it would sugest it is 50:1
Community Veteran

It is only 50:1, one thing to bear in mind is you have this array of additional features if you do decide to use peer2peer etc (for purely legal reasons obviously) :p

If you reffer your friends and family to PlusNet then your account will be cheaper, and if you are on a 12 month contract with ADSL Home then you need to see this though before downgrading

Chris