cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Should I cancel the Netgear DG834G I ordered?

Community Veteran

Having decided to banish the USB modem and take the gateway plunge I read this forum to get some recommendations and noted a couple of the mods highly rated the Netgear DG834G.

I duly ordered this from Amazon, but I now read on these forums that the kit most affected by the disconnects is the Netgear DG834G Doh!

So what is the story? Should I cancel while I have the chance or are 99% of folks with this piece of kit having no trouble at all?
7 REPLIES
N/A

Hi there,

The issue currently affecting Plus Net and the Netgear routers still hasnt been identified.

however I have many clients using these routers with other providers and they are experiencing no issues.

Plus net, along with BT and Juniper are investigating the issue and i am sure it will be resolved soon.

I use Netgear kit both in work and at home and whilst is see the odd connection issue, it is always resolved in a few seconds.

I'd stick with the netgear in the certain knowledge that this will be resolved soon.

/me now goes and hides in case that statement comes back to haunt me. :lol:
Community Veteran

"I'd stick with the netgear in the certain knowledge that this will be resolved soon.

/me now goes and hides in case that statement comes back to haunt me. "

Duly logged :lol: Cheers.... I'll leave it on order then.
Midville
Grafter

Mine works well no problems that I have noticed, just flashed with the new firmware v 3.01.25 and still fine.
N/A

Been using the newest firmware since it first became available. No problems.
LiamM
Grafter

The problems are hard to notice. Since the router can reconnect a dropped connection in just 10 seconds.
Community Veteran

Well the DG834g V2 arrived yesterday along with the WG111 v2 adapter.
Both were installed without hassle and the gateway has been connected for 21 hours now. I would definately have had a disconnect on the USB modem during that time.

I'm keeping zone alarm running at the moment on both PC's. I am pretty sure they are not needed for incoming protection as a test at GRC.com "Shields Up" showed me as fully stealth cloaked. But until I get time to look at the outgoing firewall controls I want zone alarm to let me know when programs are trying to transmit.

I better look at encryptoin at the weekend as well!

Definately so far so good. Out of interest is there any data showing if those having disconnect problems have the V1 rather than V2 hardware?

For anyone interested firmware on this unit is:

Firmware Version V2.10.22
ADSL Firmware Version 3.02.06.00

Cheers

Peter
N/A

Out of interest is there any data showing if those having disconnect problmes have the V1 rather than V2 hardware?

I doubt they would be able to distinguish either way. They are both effectively identical, however the v2 is just miniaturised (sic)

I have the v1 unit and up until a few days ago it was dropping out a lot during peak times. PlusNet have sorted that out now though and so far so good.. Smiley