cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sharing plusnet connection

N/A

I have two PC's in the house, One which I use and the other the kids use quite lightly but could do with internet access. Can I share my broadband connection with them by means of a wireless device as I dont really want to wire to thier room.

Thanks
4 REPLIES
N/A

Hi,

Yes, that should be possible.

Obviously you would need to aquire pci wireless cards for each of the PC's and a wireless modem/router for your connection.

My personal preference is Netgear kit for stability and performance but others may have different thoughts.

There's certainly nothing from the Plus Net end to restrict you.

Plus Net are also selling the required hardware. Might be worth a look
N/A

I would second the comment on the Netgear router - I have been using one quite successfully for a year now. The DG834's come with 4 Ethernet ports as well as the wireless capability. This means that all your devices don't have to be wireless. The desktop can connect through the Ethernet, with a laptop or other desktop with wireless card connecting through the 802.11.

It's not hard to set up, although it's worth time really getting to know the security and setting that up right. You don't want people freeloading on your DSL!!

JC
N/A

wireless speed

Thanks for the information I will have a look at the netgear stuff.

Peter
N/A

Obviously you would need to aquire pci wireless cards for each of the PC's and a wireless modem/router for your connection.

Just to clarify that (at the risk of egg-sucking lessons!): you won't need a pci wireless card for your main pc, as it would be normal (and, for some wireless routers at least, essential) to plug one pc direct into the router.