cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sharing one ADSL line - Not networked - Can it work?

Scottish_Scruti

We want to connect 2 seperate PCs to one ADSL line.

We don't require them to be networked, nor to both be connected at the same time. Can they be plugged into seperate sockets and "share" the ADSL line?

I know it would be more straightforward to network them either cable or wireless, but for security reasons the "work" one may be restricted to secure connections only.
4 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Both PCs would require an ADSL modem (or the one modem you have moved from one PC to another). And if using 2 modems, the unused one would need to be unplugged or powered off as you can't have 2 modems sharing the line at the same time.
Scottish_Scruti

10 minutes for an answer... Thanks for the quick response.

I thought that it would work that way, but just worth asking. A wireless router may be the long term answer if we can get the security issues clarified at this end.

Once again, thanks.
N/A

Well i have 2 computers and a laptop and two network cards in my main pc. What i do is if my mates are around i link my yellow network cable to the 2nd pc and they use that. When the laptop wants 2 be used on the net i use the white cable and the sepeate network card to have internet on the laptop. I no i should get a router but i dont want one at the moment.
N/A

An alternative is to get a USB ADSL Modem eg see the Speedtouch. They are quite cheap (on e-bay) and work well enough.

I started with a Speedtouch and replaced it with a Vigor router as I needed the wireless as well as cable access.

But prior to the Vigor, my Speedtouch worked fine. And with USB it is easy to move from PC to PC, as long as you have the telephone points (not forgetting the microfilter).