cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sharing my PN ADSL connection using Binatone USB Modem

N/A

Hi

I have my main PC which is networked to a smaller PC which I need net access on.

I have had this working previously with my dial up connections using ICS. I currently am able to access the other PC's drives and vice versa, just can't seem to get net access though. Do I need to alter some settings in the NIC properties, like DNS server or something ?

My current settings are:- Main PC - Use the follwing IP addy:- 192.168.0.1and the smaller PC - Use the following IP addy:- 192.168.0.2 and also have an XBOX which is:- 192.168.0.3

The subnet mask is set to 255.255.255.0, but my DNS boxes are blank with the mark in "Use the following DNS server".

Is this my prob ?

BTW I have all the above connected to a Network Switch.

Cheers for any help.

Chris
7 REPLIES
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

Hi,

Make sure ICS is enabled on your Binatone connection, then on the second PC in the "use the following DNS servers" boxes enter the following

Your IP address and subnet mask are right, the default gateway should be 192.168.0.1 if that is missing.

When you've added these, it may ask for a reboot (and possibly Windows CD if it is Win9Cool, you should then be able to browse.
N/A

Hi again

Thnx for the reply. Tried that and still dosn't work, tries to find site and at the same time the 2 green lights on the switch blink every 5-10 seconds as though it is trying to access but can't.

Forgot to mention the main PC with the Inet access is running Win XP Pro and the other PC is running Win 2K.

Any other ideas ?

Cheers
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff

Hi,

Do you have a firewall running on either PC? If so make sure this isn't blocking the traffic (you might try disabling it as a test).

Can you ping the XP PC from the 2K PC? Or how about anything on the outside world from it (e.g. one of our DNS servers 212.159.13.150 or www.bbc.co.uk)?
N/A

Hi

I can ping my main PC (192.168.0.1) but when I try the DNS it comes back with Destination host unreachable, so it seems it can comunicate ok with the Inet PC just not the Inet. Huh??

Also tried disabling ZAP so that is not blocking anything.

Cheers
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff

OK, I just want to recap and make sure nothing's been missed.

On the XP machine:

You've enabled ICS on the Binatone connection, this should set the IP address on the LAN connection as 192.168.0.1

On the 2k machine

You've got IP address set as 192.168.0.2, default gateway as 192.168.0.1 and DNS servers as 212.159.13.49 and 212.159.13.50

If all that is set as above then set the IP address and DNS servers to obtain the details automatically on the 2k machine, then disable ICS on XP, reboot and re-enable it.
N/A

Doh I feel so stupid I didn't have anything entered in default gateway, but the strange thing is I never did when I was using dial up, is BB different ?

Thanks for your solution.

Cheers Smiley
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff

Glad you've got it sorted. It should have been the same on dial-up. As far as the 2k PC is concerned it shouldn't make difference whether it is a broadband, dial-up, or infra-red to mobile phone connection.

Maybe it was set to obtain the IP address automatically before, and hence no need to enter in the default gateway.