cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sharing my ADSL Connection using XP Pro

Sheepy

Sharing my ADSL Connection using XP Pro

Hi,

I'm sooooo.. close to getting this going. Can anyone recommend a good URL with real-life info on how to share my home network ADSL connection with my laptop to access the www. Both systems are runnign XP Pro. The ADSL is USB and standalone.
The Laptop can see the Desktop as a Local Area Connection. I've allocated the ADSL Modem's DNS address in the laptop's connection properties.
When I start the connection I get ...
Connecting through WAN Miniport (PPPOE)
Then I get Error 678 - the remote computer did not respond, yet I can transfer files etc.
I'm stuck now!
Bobbie

--
2 REPLIES
N/A

RE: Sharing my ADSL Connection using XP Pro

> Hi,
>
> I'm sooooo.. close to getting this going. Can anyone recommend a good URL with real-life info on how to share my home network ADSL connection with my laptop to access the www. Both systems are runnign XP Pro. The ADSL is USB and standalone.
> The Laptop can see the Desktop as a Local Area Connection. I've allocated the ADSL Modem's DNS address in the laptop's connection properties.
> When I start the connection I get ...
> Connecting through WAN Miniport (PPPOE)
> Then I get Error 678 - the remote computer did not respond, yet I can transfer files etc.
> I'm stuck now!
> Bobbie
>
>
> --

Go to www.practicallynetworked.com they have excellent ICS help pages however if you run the network connection wizard and follow the props it should work no probs I have three XPpro machines connected to my ADSL and one win98 machine all using ICS my laptop is win2k/win98 dual boot and works in both enviroments

Happy networking

Jim
>

N/A

RE: Sharing my ADSL Connection using XP Pro

> Hi,
>
> I'm sooooo.. close to getting this going. Can anyone recommend a good URL with real-life info on how to share my home network ADSL connection with my laptop to access the www. Both systems are runnign XP Pro. The ADSL is USB and standalone.
> The Laptop can see the Desktop as a Local Area Connection. I've allocated the ADSL Modem's DNS address in the laptop's connection properties.
> When I start the connection I get ...
> Connecting through WAN Miniport (PPPOE)
> Then I get Error 678 - the remote computer did not respond, yet I can transfer files etc.
> I'm stuck now!
> Bobbie
>
>
> --
I just read the rest of that post youre problem is the Wan PPPOE you need to set youre connections to connect via LAN and remove all the bits and bobs from the boxes like proxy connections then make sure youre DNS gateway is set to youre ADSL machine's IP you also have to have ICS enabled check that web site out or run the Wizard it works faultlessly for me

Jim

>