cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sharing broadband connection with a USB wireless adapter

N/A

:?: I have a Netgem digital set top box for digital TV. I also have ASDL with an external USB modem.
I understand I can use a USB (supported by netgem) wireless adapter (eg Belkin) to share the connection. Does the adapter come as 2 units, one to plug into the PC and one into the netgem? Or is it just one unit to plug into the netgem box? Also I am confused as to whether I need a router. Do I only need that if I want to access computer files via the TV? For Internet sharing only is the wireless adapter all that is needed? Thanks for any help
Michael
5 REPLIES
N/A

Ok, lets start from scratch.

What are you trying to do? get your tv box to output to your computer wirelessly? can you explain in more detail, what it is your trying to achive.

Aaron
N/A

Yeah I thought that was what was asked but it needs some clarification.

A wireless adapter for the box won’t connect it to PC, it is only 1 unit and it needs something to transmit the signal to it. A wireless access point or router would be needed.

Cheers
Zen
N/A

Okay, thanks.
Reading the Netgem manual, it says : You can connect Netgem to your existing wireless network using a compatible USB-Wifi adapter. You can use Netgems Wifi capability in either ad-hoc mode (Wifi adapter to Wifi adapter) or architecture mode (WiFi adapter to WiFi base).

Can you explain the difference in laymans terms?

Can I just buy 2 USB-WiFi adapters as in Ad-Hoc mode, or do I still need a router? Is there any difference between an access point and a router, or is it the same thing. Are there USB routers, and do you recommend them. Or do I need to open up my PC.

If I need a router is it best to get one without a firewall as I already have Zone Alarm as recommended by Plusnet
thanks
Community Veteran

You can use Netgems Wifi capability in either ad-hoc mode (Wifi adapter to Wifi adapter)

This involes 2 normal WiFi adapters. In your case one is plugged into the netgem and the other plugged into your PC. Your PC would then use ICS (Internet connection sharing) to link your WiFi connection to your existing USB modem or external Ethernet router. I.e. the connection from the netgem goes through your PC to the internet so your PC must always be on for the netgem to access the internet. Both WiFi adapters must be set for Ad-hoc mode for this to work.

or architecture mode (WiFi adapter to WiFi base).

In this situation, instead of the WiFi card connected to your PC, you connect to a router which has a wireless capability or you have a separate wireless access point connected to the router. In this situation you connect wirelessly to your router and don't go through your PC (i.e. the PC can be switched off and you still have net access for the netgem).

Can I just buy 2 USB-WiFi adapters as in Ad-Hoc mode, or do I still need a router?

You can do it either way as I explained above.

Is there any difference between an access point and a router, or is it the same thing.

A router can have a built in wireless capability or not (most don't). For those that don't, you can by a separate wireless device that connects to one of the Ethernet ports of a router and adds wireless capabilitioes to it.

Are there USB routers, and do you recommend them. Or do I need to open up my PC.

Yes there are USB routers but I would always recommend going for an Ethernet connected one (for which you need a network card in your PC on on the motherboard).

If I need a router is it best to get one without a firewall as I already have Zone Alarm as recommended by Plusnet

Most routers have firewalls anyway and it is better to have 2 than one (one hardware forewall in the router and a software firewall on each PC).

So, you could do what you want without buying a router: USB WiFi for netgem, USB WiFi for PC (costs I'm not sure of) and use your existing USB ADSL modem.
Or you can buy an external Ethernet modem/router with WiFi capabilities. These cost about £100 and I would recommend a DG835G or Linksys WAG54G. They both have ADSL modem, 4 port router, wireless and firewall. This would replace your USB ADSL modem and one of the WiFi devices (you would no longer need one for the PC). You then need a WiFi device for the netgem.

Finally, several have asked but you have not answered yet. What do you intend to do with this netgem when connected to ADSL? Does it have a browser / surf capability so you can surf on your TV or is there another use for it?
N/A

Thank you very much. Your help is much appreciated
Michael