cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sharing an adsl connection

N/A

Hi all,

I access the adsl line via a 4 port adsl modem router, and have the connection set up on one computer. The modem router is connected to this PC via a USB link. My question is, how do you configure the modem and windows on the client PCs to share the Internet connection, and retain all the network settings?

Any help will be very much appreciated.

(please note that I am only 16, so things may need to be spelt out) Smiley

Steven
20 REPLIES
N/A

Hi , This may sound silly , but have you read the " how to set up a network connection " and " sharing an internet connection " in your Windows ( I persume you are running Windows ) help files ...HuhHuh
Once you have the nessecary hardware connections Windows will happily walk you through the setup.
Hope that wasnt to technical for you.... :lol:
N/A

Yes I have checked those pages; they are of no real help to me because the setup of my modem router is different to the ones used as examples in those pages. Whereas they are easy enough to follow, they dont help really.

Thanks
N/A

Is this any help?
http://portal.plus.net/supportpages.html?a=220
check out the introduction aswell
N/A

Ive had a look at that; it would be good, only i have Windows 98se on all computers

It is different on Win2k

Thanx anyway

Smiley

Steven
N/A

The way i connect to the internet is the cheapest to setup.

Internal PCI modem. (£25)

ICS sharing straight to a cheap 16 port hub (£15) connect PC to hub using patch cable.

Connect other pcs and xbox and ps2 to hub. Work's great.
N/A

It seems to me that you'll need to enable Internet Connection sharing on the machine connected to the modem, but... if you have a 4-port modem/router, would you not be better to connect all the PCs directly to the router via Ethernet?
N/A

Thanx sasaplex, that is the idea

the question for me is, how do you set this up?

I have only been able to connect the modem and actually get it to work via the USB port - ideally, it should just route straight over the network, but i am having great difficulty in actually setting this up; i have only been able to actually access the adsl via the USB port. Do you know how to set this up in the modem configuration pages/ in windows (I don't think it requires anything much in windows though-at least not ICS).

Thank you all for the help so far

Cheesy
N/A

To route your DSL connection, provided over your USB modem, you will need some form of ICS, be it the windows supplied one, or something else.

For routing direct over a network, you need a router.
N/A

Internet connection sharing follows the same principle from W98 onwards.
Steven needs to enable ICS via network connections Accesible via the Control panel. The example shown in Plusnets info is for W2K but is meant as a
'typical' example and the principles are the same for other systems using ICS.
Perhaps somebody using W98 could elaborate in slightly more detail as to what he needs to do to get his computers communicating with each other.
Since he already has a router the ethernet suggestion would mean that each computer works independantly from each other and that one(The server) would not have to remain on at all times for the others to access the internet,
as each would comunicate directly with the router,but would still be able to share files by enabling file sharing.
However this would mean that steven would have to spend more money in buying ethernet cards for each computer and would have to open up his computers to install them etc, which is really not advisable given the difficulties already encountered.
N/A

Opening the computers up is no problem; I built all 3 in the first place

They all have network cards already installed

I want to know how to set up the router witha 23 computers on the Ethernet connections, without using 1 computer as a server.

Im more computer literae than I seem

Cheesy
N/A

I'm glad to hear that you build your own computers.
When you said that you are only 16 and needed things spelt out I assumed you were a novice and I apologise .
You also stated that you have already set up one computer via USB and you wanted to know how to set up the others as clients,ie ICS.
Now you are actually saying that you dont want to set up ICS but want to configure your router to work via ethernet and connect up your computers
to the router. As you've already set up your router
(the difficult part) all that remains is to connect your pc's via ethernet and enable LAN in your network settings and connect up.
Without being specific as to what exactly the problem is your having and giving a detailed description of what your equipment is, it's more difficult for others
to comprehend and get to grips with the problem.
Good luck and I hope your up and running soon.

AL
N/A

Ok sorry if i confused some
I spoke to my dad and he said it would be better to set it up simply over the Ethernet; it is not that simple, evidently, though

Thanks to all who have helped/tried to hepl so far

Steven
N/A

What model modem router do you have?

1. Most likely your rotuer's LAN Ip address is 10.0.0.1 (if you haven't changed it)

2. then If you have DHCP running on the router Do step 2A else do step 2B

2.a. Go to your network card TCP/IP properties on all the computers and make sure its a server assigned IP address

2b You will need to assign each PC a seperate IP address (to keep things simple use a subnet like 255.255.255.0)
E.g.
i. PC1 can have IP address 10.0.0.50
ii PC2 can have IP address 10.0.0.51
iii PC3 can have IP address 10.0.0.52

3 In each of the PCs, TCP/IP setting make sure the Gateway is the IP address of the router (this tell the traffic how to get out to the WAN (internet))

4 In internet explorer make Options>conections tab to "never dial a connection"

5 Since your ADSL Modem/router have four ports, connect each of the PC directly on to the Router. Most routers have are able to auto negociate the cable, so you might not have to worry about straight through or cross over cables

If you have trouble, make sure you can ping the routers IP address from each of the PC.

Hope this helps, let us know

Ps If you have problems post your router model

Good luck
N/A

Agree with everything vanuk said, though the IP address range could equally well be 192.168.*.* depending on the kit.

For example, as I've just leart to my cost, a Netgear DM602 comes out of the box as 192.168.0.1 - and won't respond to your PC unless its address is also in the 192.168.*.* range