Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sharing USB Modem

margin_walker
Grafter

Sharing USB Modem

Hi everybody, ignorant newbie here.

I've just ordered the ADSL starter pack which comes with the Binatone 500 USB modem.

I have a Titanium Powerbook running Mac OS X (10.3.2) and my fiancee has a Toshiba Satellite laptop running Windows MIllenium. The Toshiba has no ethernet port/connection.

I want to be able to share the broadband connection between the two computers, so how do I go about doing this?! Do I need to get a USB hub/router? If this will work, how much are they and what do I need to look out for? :?:

Thanks in anticipation!

Margin Walker
4 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Sharing USB Modem

I'm afraid your USB modem will be of no use for what you want to do - you cannot share the USB modem with more than one PC, so you would have been better to get a wires only ADSL connection from PlusNet and bought your own equipment.

You are going to require a wireless connection to your tosh and possibly to the other laptop using a PCMCIA wireless card in each. Your main PC will then connect directly via a network card to an 'all in one' device that has a modem/router/4 port hub and wireless access point. Something like a netgear DG834G. Wireless is not cheap and you may be lucky to get change out of £250 for the lot.

While it may be possible to network all 3 PCs using ICS (internet connection sharing) on the main PC, 1 network card, a wireless access point connected to the network card and wireless PCMCIA cards in the laptops, and use the USB modem this is likely to cost more and be prone to problems than buying the all in one device and 2 wireless cards.
margin_walker
Grafter

Sharing USB Modem

Wow, fast reply!

I know that I can share the internet connection from the Powerbook via ethernet. So, will it work if I get a PCMCIA card for the Toshiba laptop, and use the Powerbook to share the connection via the ethernet ports?

Thanks for your reply Peter.
N/A

Sharing USB Modem

If you get a Origo ASR-8400 router it has 4 ports and also a usb connection its cheap about £40 on ebay or from http://www.broadbandstore.co.uk/acatalog/routers.html

You only then need to get a network card for 1 pc. This is a lot cheaper option and I have the router its very easy to set up and works great.
Community Veteran

Sharing USB Modem

I guess it depends on if you want to use the laptops away from the main PC & router in which case wireless is your only option. If they will all be in the same room then a wired network will work but you are still better off ditching the USB modem and going for a router. USB connections can be troublesome and I always recommend a ethernet/netcard solution.