cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Shared Modem

N/A

Shared Modem

I know a litle about ICS, but would like to know if I get a Solwise SAR715 or Netgear DG814 router/modem, would I be able to get two computers to access the internet independently of each other, and not have to have one deisgnated as a server, and share its connection.

I need to have either of the computers to make an initial connection without having to have the other switched on, but for the other to be able to use the internet when it is turned on.
7 REPLIES
N/A

Shared Modem

Yes, you could.

The router can provide the connection to either (or both) of the computers. The router works independantly.

I have a SAR-715 and am very happy with it.
N/A

Shared Modem

:?:
Can you tell me if the SAR-715 has uPnP and does it allow video conferencing with Yahoo messenger and MSN Messenger?

I am told that the Thomson Speed touch 510 v4 can do the above and am trying to decide which would be best for myself.

My son also likes online gaming so I need for that to not cause a problem also.

You comments appreciated!

Thanks. Trev.
N/A

Shared Modem

These devices are know as router/modem combination units, and are what you require.

It doesn't work by sharing which computer makes the connection, the router/modem is independant, and if you like, a decicated computer, to do nothing but ICS.

The SAR715 does support upnp, however, you would be advised to visit the solwise forums for information on enabling it.
N/A

Shared Modem

Many thanks for confirming what I hoped for. Also does anyone know if the DSL clone for the SAR-715 is exactly the same. i.e. do the firmware updates work on the DSL model that are designed for the Solwise router/modem.
N/A

Shared Modem

The SAR715 is the solwise model.
N/A

Shared Modem

Yes , but the DSL version is called the EA715 ( I think ). it's this one I want to know if the SAR715 firmware updates work on.
N/A

Shared Modem

I would presume so, however, you should get confirmation.

To my knowledge, the SAR is just EQ715 with rebranding, nothing more.

Try posting the questions on http://www.solwiseforum.co.uk/