cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Shake BT

N/A

Shake BT

Its time we shook up BT and got the governement to pressure them to roll out Broadband to 100% of the country sharing out the cost equally on a national basis - OK that means slightly (and only slightly) dearer broadband for all you city dwellers - what do you think
27 REPLIES
N/A

Shake BT

I've moved this thread to the ADSL and Broadband forum, feel free to continue the discussion there.
N/A

Shake BT

While I work for a well of charitable organisation, we help admisiter there office, fodrasing and computers needs.

A lot of these are based on local project here on Merseyside, however, we strech our boundries to help those that provide heavily to the people of Merseyside.

These include outdoor/get-away centers, where youths who maybe ill, handicapped or deprived of a normal life in some way, can go away and have a week or weekend of fun.

Having been to these, and revamping the computing facilities in these places myself, I know full well that they need broadband.

MidBand is not even a viable options, due to the load that would be placed on it at any 1 moment. 500kbit DSL wouldn't do either, but each station would at least get a feed comparable to just under 33kbit modem.

Having campained myself with BT over getting ISDN feeds up to the property, I know full well the aditional dificulties they face.

I am in open arms at the idea that BT should do this, but at the same time I know fully well that it would be impossible to do it in a timescale the public would like to see.

However, any project to perform this, any quicker than the rollout schemes BT currently use, would get my vote.
N/A

Shake BT

I've moved this thread to the ADSL and Broadband forum, feel free to continue the discussion there.

Rob Kelly, why move it? It concerns modem users at least as much asADSL or other broadband users, so all it will do is sit there and be ignored by the people who are most likely to want to answer it.

Gary J.
N/A

Shake BT

It would be nice to have broadband everywhere. Trigger levels for exchange conversion have been lowered in a large number of cases.
However in the rural depths of Outer Mongolia, even with RADSL, you're likely to be too far from the exchange to get a connection.
Sad
Community Veteran

Shake BT

Well, if you're willing to pay the costs, you can always use satellite broadband! Wink

Thomas
N/A

Roll Out

There is no roll out system that will be 100% or fair to all! Many will be left outside the rADSL range of activated exchanges and with no cable coverage will have no alternative except for the more expensive satellite and proposed midband options. Are we also going to subsidise these users?
Regards
N/A

Shake BT

No.

I do believe the talk was on subsidising faster rollout for those that will be in the reach of at least RADSL.
N/A

Shake BT

No, original post said 100% of the country.......
N/A

Shake BT

Then I would change my vote to NO.

ADSL and even RADSL as a technology, would make it impossible to roll it to 100% of the country.

There are many places of England and Wales, that are well outside of the range to take DSL signals, even on test platforms designed to test the technology.

These would need fiber links, to at least a road side cab.

The prices can be greate for a 16 users unit, many smaller groups would need several of these 6 user cabs, and as such, it would cost a hell of a lot.

The idea to speed up the tollout by subsidising it through others, to a level greater than BT planned is excelent, and would work.

But to acheive 100% population availability, you are looking into £10 a month extra for home 500 (wires only) wholesale price to do this. This price wouldn't even be a temporary measure, as it would have to cover the costs incured from having to install fiber links to these rural fiber cabs, the equipment stored in these outdoor units, in the harsh terain and weather, for the entire life span.

Every technology has its limitations.
N/A

Shake BT

My point is this - yes the costs of providing services to rural areas is high - however shared out amongst all users the real cost is tiny - even if it means providing satelite technology to some remote areas and re-distributing locally. Information Technology is in my view already at the stage when it should be a basic entitlement and therefore equality of availability is important.

It does not help that BT still cloak their "viability" levels in secrecy - I for example live in an exchange area where 164 people have registered interest and BT wont even quote a level! It should not be up to communities to fight and campaign like this - it is a waste of their time and effort. I believe that BT should not upgrade exchanges ONLY where there is a clear technical reason for not being able to - in which case maybe the whole exchange should be upgraded. Many people are NOT going to want to sign up in advance of a service being available even if they managed to find out where to go to register their interest! If BT is serious about establishing what customer demand might be then they could divert some of their intrusive marketing people to ask subscribers what they want or maybe send out a questionnaire with telephone bills to yet unconnected areas. BT are simply NOT PROACTIVE in this.

The reality is that many people in these rural areas have been forced into using ISDN and/or leased lines which generate easy profits for BT they do not have any interest in serving communities where it might reduce their precious profitability ( I am not arguing that a businsess should run at a loss ). They have no real incentive and there is no government pressure for them to change their attitude.

How long before they start charging rural customers more for their telephone services! Incidentally I dont consider 5 miles from a major city to be a rural location which is how close I am to swansea!

I agree icidentally that this poll is relevant to all subscribers and feel that hiving it off into broadband is a little unfair
N/A

Shake BT

What kind of a poll is this? The first option is so biased as to be meaningless.
Does it mean I do not care if I do not subscribe to every deserving cause?

If there is a demand for broadband and there is a profit to be made then enterprise will find a way to deliver it at a price people will be willing to pay. I am new to broadband and only have it because market forces have seen the price drop to a level that I will pay. I do not consider that I have it on the cheap. That price is set by BT, competition and supply and demand.

It is companies like PlusNet who see a market and capture it that are driving the industry forward. They and other responsible quality service providers along with any public demand will have to generate the push required for exchange upgrades and any other requirements. Feather bedding no matter how well intentioned will only increase costs in the long run. Economic forces, even though sometimes distasteful and sometimes an advantage cannot be ignored.

I agree that it would be great if the whole of Britain was broadband enabled, but in the case of a pay for, non essential service, subsidising is not the way forward as this reduces the need for inavation. The end result being a poorer and more costly service for everybody.
Ianwild
Grafter

Shake BT

Rob Kelly, why move it? It concerns modem users at least as much asADSL or other broadband users, so all it will do is sit there and be ignored by the people who are most likely to want to answer it.

Gary J.

It was moved from the customer feedback forum because that is for customer feedback. Plenty of dial customers read the ADSL forum...

Regards,
N/A

Shake BT

Its Chicken and Egg isn't it.

If broadband was rolled out everywhere, the costs would be higher and therefore, not as many people would want it, therefore EVEN HIGHER prices for those that want it and can and do receive it at the moment.

I may say differently if I was further from my exchange, but I Aint.

btw how much is a 256k leased line from BT ?

Bill
N/A

Shake BT

Leased lines go by distance from the nearest POP (Point Of Presence).

With setup and managment costs of such a line, you are talking an insane saviving.