cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Setting up my own FTP/Telnet/Web server - Help please?

N/A

Hi all!

I am looking at the possibility of setting up a server at my base location that users across the net will be able to FTP or Telnet to in order to upload/download files, etc... I would also like to be able to host web pages if possible. I have the standard PlusNet ADSL 512k service without the fileshare restrictions and run several PCs through this connection via switches and a router. My questions are...

1. I assume I would need a second IP address for remote users to aim at. Correct? How much does this cost?

2. What else (service wise from PlusNet) would I need?

3. I have a Router on my current line - Can I run my new server through this or would I need a second DSL line?

4. Apart from the server, drives and network card, what else will I need at my end?

5. Has anyone reading this done this before and was it easy / effective? Are there any good resources available showing how to do this kind of setup?

Thank you in advance for your help.
4 REPLIES
Ianwild
Grafter

I'm sure someone else will give you a more complete answer, but in short you don't need anything additional to do what you want. You need to look into port forwarding on your router, but in theory you could run just about every service an ISP offers from a single IP address if you wanted!

Regards,

Ian
N/A

It is very simple you simple port forward from the router to each service. so you forward port 80 to your webserver and forward port 21 or whatever you want to the ftp server. They can all be the same pc or they can all be on diffrent pcs.

If its just one pc you can set that up in the dmz zone and then you wont need to forward any ports.

The main thing is security as you have little or no protection on each service and a simply password may be all the hacker needs. If you put a old pc and have no data on it except what is needed it doesnt matter much if they get in.

People will all connect to your main ip for all services
N/A

Thank you very much guys.

I have a fair bit of computing knowledge and understand the theory of the answer you gave, but practically applying this has me a little confused.

I have an ADSL SMC Barricade router (hardware router) on my DSL line, so I suppose it is this I would need to do the configuration work on. Does anyone have an FAQ or a set of instructions on how to actually set this up? I have an old computer I can use as a public server and an infinitely expandable network, but I will need to take a crash course on how to set up a DMZ, how to set up a web service, how to configure the router and how to get the lot working together. Sorry for all the questions, but I am kind of starting from scratch on this one.

Thanks in advance for the help Smiley
N/A

According to the SMC Barricade ADSL Router User Guide, you configure port forwarding on the router's "NAT -> Virtual Servers" screen. Pages 4-22 and 4-23 of the manual explain how to do this.

For example, if the PC on which you plan to provide web services has an IP address (on your LAN) of 192.168.0.10, then, on the "Virtual Servers" configuration screen, you'd enter 192.168.0.10 in the "Private IP" address box (in fact, you only need to enter the final "10" as the router will have already completed the leading digits -- if the leading digits do not correspond to those of your web server host, then there's something wrong with how you've set up your system). Under "Private Port", enter "80" (the standard port on which Web Servers listen for incoming connection requests), select a "Type" of TCP and enter "80" under "Public Port". Then press the "Apply" button.

For Telnet access you will need to specify port 23, and for FTP the port is 21. You may also have to open further ports (eg port 20) if FTP is to be worthwhile (if "passive" operation is specified) -- refer to your FTP Server documentation for details of its requirements.

Assuming there are no firewall considerations to be addressed, once you've set up the port forwarding for your web server, as described above, a remote user out on the Internet should be able to access your web server by entering the address http://coregi.plus.com (or http://212.159.45.23Cool in his web browser. Note you will not be able to test this from within your network.