cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Setting up for ADSL

N/A

Setting up for ADSL

I have just signed up for adsl, and my line is active.
I have an ethernet hub which currently connects my PC and my son's PC.
I want to use a router-modem rather than an internal one to save having 1 PC on all the time, so can I buy a single port ethernet router, connect it to the hub and then the hub to the 2 PCs?

Sorry to ask such a basic question but I have been trying to find this out for a while now, and can't get an accurate response - and I'm now wasting money!! (:

Any sensible replies welcomed!

Paul
2 REPLIES
Community Veteran

RE: Setting up for ADSL

> I have just signed up for adsl, and my line is active.
> I have an ethernet hub which currently connects my PC and my son's PC.
> I want to use a router-modem rather than an internal one to save having 1 PC on all the time, so can I buy a single port ethernet router, connect it to the hub and then the hub to the 2 PCs?
>
> Sorry to ask such a basic question but I have been trying to find this out for a while now, and can't get an accurate response - and I'm now wasting money!! (:
>
> Any sensible replies welcomed!
>
> Paul

Paul

I don't personaly know of any single port modem / routers but I have just changed my set up here to use the 4 port D-Link DSL 504 and I have to admit that it was very easy to set up and I now have 3 PC's networked and all can access the net at the same time.

I would definately recommend this one.
Mine cost just over £90.

Hope this helps.

--
Regards
John
http://www.hmrg.co.uk
N/A

RE: Setting up for ADSL

> I have just signed up for adsl, and my line is active.
> I have an ethernet hub which currently connects my PC and my son's PC.
> I want to use a router-modem rather than an internal one to save having 1 PC on all the time, so can I buy a single port ethernet router, connect it to the hub and then the hub to the 2 PCs?
>
> Sorry to ask such a basic question but I have been trying to find this out for a while now, and can't get an accurate response - and I'm now wasting money!! (:
>
> Any sensible replies welcomed!
>
> Paul

Yes you can get a single port ADSL router and connect your hub to it. You'll need a X-Over patch cable to connect them unless your hub as a X-Over uplink. However, the price difference between say D-Link 500 (single port) and D-Link 504 (4 port) is about a tenner, so to me it's not worth the extra electric running a seperate hub ;o). Also, if you plug the hub into the router, it means all the trafic from the hub goes down one 10/100 where as if you have a router with a 4 port switch, all 4 machines would get 10/100 each. Not that this would be a problem since you're only connecting 2 machines, not running an office LAN Shocked)