cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Setting up after migration

N/A

Sorry to be ignorant but I am a bit confused! I am in the process of migrating from BTYahoo to Plusnet.
I am currently using a Speedtouch router, and to access it, I type :-http://10.0.0.138 to access it's configuratin.
On switchover day, is it really as easy as entering the configuration and just changing my username and password? How does it know I am now with a different ISP?
5 REPLIES
Community Veteran

On changeover BT and PlusNet will have set up the rout so that the system recognizes your new username and password.
So it is as easy as accessing your router and altering those.

Welcome to PlusNet. Smiley
N/A

What do you mean by "set up the rout"?
Community Veteran

Your phone line is connected to a peice of equipment at the exchange called a DSLAM and this takes the ADSL signals and feeds them in to or extracts them from the Digital Higway run by BT.
When your router sends out your username and password the Digital highway checks against a database to see where the conection needs to be sent to (the route) and sets up a path between you and PlusNet for you signals to be sent and received.

At the moment it will be looking for you BT username and password which it uses to connect you your BT ISP.

Once your new Username and Password have been inculded on both BTs and Plusnets Database then the system knows where to route you to.

Hope that helps explain it a bit
N/A

Yes, thankyou very much. This sort of support has already made me thankful I made the switch! One final question: does BTYahoo automatically cancel my account with them once they get the MAC code, or do I need to put the closure request in writing ('phoning means being in several queues and transferring all over the place!)? I don't want to pay them more than I need to.
Community Veteran

There have been instances where people have found that they are still paying BT as well as PlusNet even though BT should cancel your account with them once the migration has gone through. Sad

To be certain I would recomend that you also notify BT in writing after the migration that your account should be cancelled, and keep a copy.
Then if the do still keep taking your money you have evidence and can demand that it is refunded. Cool