Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Setting up a router

Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 5

Setting up a router

Hi

Last night I studdenly lost access to the internet. It was fine one minute, then I was unable to access anything about 10 minutes later. I tried with 3 separate computers all connected with different cables to different ports on my switch. I still had sync, and the data light flashes when I attemp to do anything outside of my network. A friend of mine is with plusnet and is on the same exchange and his is fine, so I kinda ruled out problems with plusnet.

I started playing round with the router settings and have lost them all. So what I'm basically after is someone to tell me all the settings I'm likely to need to set the router up again, so I can look them up, while I'm still at work and can access the net, so I can attempt to re-set it up when I get home.

If that doesn't work I'm going to try my mates router over the weekend. If I do will I be able to connect with his login details, as he's a plusnet adsl user on the same exchange?

I've ordered an upgrade to a 1Mb line from my current 512 ADSL Home Self-Install, but that is not due until Tuesday 7th September, so I presume with the current high demand and queues for adsl that bt wouldn't have started doing anything with it yet.

If it proved not to be the router can anyone suggest anything else to try? I know to try it in the master socket if the extension doesn't work. The setup has been working fine since February. I moved the router to a different phone extension a couple of weeks ago and it worked fine there.

Oh yeah, and my router is a Nokia IP 55 if anyone has any experience of them.

Thanks

Phil
8 REPLIES
N/A

Setting up a router

These things do happen im afraid, I've had a few routers that for no reason seamed to cut out, some times it overheating sometimes its firmware without really knowing what make and model it is its hard to say.

As for settings the only things you really need is your plusnet username and password. Other settings such as DHCP DNS and DMZ's etc all depend on how you had things set up. If you post what kind of setup your using we can talk you though the things you need.

One other thing, I notice that you are set as being from liverpool, are you from that side of the water or over on the wirral, the reason I ask is that im on the wirral myself and I know some of the exchanges such as LVBIR are having VPC issues atm.
Community Veteran

Setting up a router

These are the settings from My D-Link 504

VPI 0
VCI 38

Encapsulation PPPoAmux
Username your username
Password **********

Authentication chap
Connecton demand enabled
Idle time 0
IP Control Get From ISP

Hope that helps you.
N/A

hmm

I've had this problem many a time an had to reset. Do rouetrs overheat easily? Because mine's been fine for nearly a week now!
Superuser
Superuser

Setting up a router

Thanks John, they are the settings I was thinking of, although I couldn't quite remember what they where!

codezero: The router is a Nokia IP55. I'm actually from Ormskirk, but not many people know where that is, hence the Liverpool location! As I said a mates adsl is working fine and he's on PlusNet and the same exchange. Could the problems you mentioned effect 1 connection, but not another on an exchange?

I unplugged the router for about an hour last night while I went to my mates to do some urgent work that I was going on the net to do! When I got back and rebooted it, it was exactly the same. Thats when I started playing with the settings and screwed them up!

Phil
N/A

Setting up a router

theshiers it depends I have an old el-cheapo router that when I opened it up I found that the controller chip was getting very hot so I just slapped on a heatsink and it behaved a lot better but that was just one make.

Anyway assuming your using the factory setting for password and ip for the router this setup guide should be what you need.

Configuring the Nokia IP55 for UK Usage

1. Connect the power and ADSL cable to the IP55 ensuring that you have appropriate line filters where necessary. The RJ11 silver flat cable is inserted into the RJ45 ADSL port on the router. These are compatible; also make sure that the cable connecting the router to the default system is NOT a crossover cable.

2. reset the router using the button on the back and wait till it settles. (You may have to hold the button for quite a few seconds for it to reset).

3. Whilst problems are seldom its best to start with a simple setup and add more devices as you move along just in case something causes a problem that was unforeseen, therefore, it might be an idea to make sure that other phones are disconnected from the device and that you start with a single pc connected to your phone line. You must make sure the router is the ONLY ADSL device connected to your phone line.

4. Connect a pc to the IP55 and make sure the link light comes on at both ends, if it doesn’t you should check the following things:

• The network card drivers on your pc are installed correctly, have you used your pc across a network prior to this?
• The cable is ok and inserted all the way into the IP55 and the connecting device
• You network card isn’t set to full duplex, try the autosense seting if you can’t get a connection

5. The IP55 uses a network method called DHCP to allocate and manage IP addresses and the subnet for each of you computers as it starts up. Once you’ve got the link light, restart the computer so the IP55’s DHCP can do its job. You can now access the IP55’s setup page from the web browser simply by entering the following IP address 192.168.1.1 in the address bar
http://192.168.1.1
If you can’t bring up the setup page try the following:

• Make sure in your PC’s TCP/IP tab for the network card that it is set to obtain an IP address automatically (use the DHCP). Non XP/2000/NT machines will need to restart the computer.
• Make sure your PC has picked up the appropriate IP address from the IP55 by either running Ipconfig from the start-run command or from the DOS command prompt.
• Make sure you are not running internet connection sharing on any other routing system on the network, this will interfere with the IP55 and will need to be completely removed.

6. Once you have the setup page up, select Express Internet and make the following menu choices (these are based on most British BT based service providers). If part way through these steps you receive the following error message: “You do not have permission to get URL ‘/cgi_config.exe’ from this server” this is due to a software firewall on your pc you need to disable whilst configuring the router.

a. Full Rate ADSL – G.DMT (NEXT)
b. Routing – Nat enabled IP Routing (NEXT)
c. (wait for mode switch)
d. Set VCI to 38 and set the VPI as 0 (NEXT)
e. Select PPP over ATM (NEXT)
f. Enter your user name and password login for PlusNet, the username is in the form user@plusdsl.net etc. Of course this must be correct or your devices won’t connect to your ISP. (NEXT)
g. You may or may not need to enter the IP addresses of your DNS servers that your ISP uses. Some ISP’s automatically send this information, If you seem to get a connection and are able to ping servers by IP address but you cannot bring up webpage your IP55 is missing these details and needs them. For most ISP’s you can leave this section blank.
h. This completes the setup phase. Finally go to the diagnostics page and reset the router normally, giving it time to come back and sense the line. To verify your physical connection, you can click the status button to check the ADSL line status.
i. To make sure the IP55’s hardware wasn’t part way through automatically trying to establishing connections with previous settings, I recommend you power down the devices and turn it back on or use the IP55 reset in the Diagnosis page, NOT the restore factory defaults. In fact I’ve found that many other settings didn’t take effect until reboot of PC and or ROUTER, so keep that in mind if you encounter a peculiarity, also wait a couple of minutes for the device to complete its login cycle. Also be aware that IE caches webpages , so always click refresh if looking at diagnostical information.

7. You should now be able to access the web from any pc on your network after completing a windows installation with no specific changes to the operating system.

8. The user name and administrative default passwords for the unit are: admin - password
Superuser
Superuser

Setting up a router

Thanks. I'll work through it when I get home.

Phil
N/A

Setting up a router

hope it helps Smiley
Superuser
Superuser

Setting up a router

Cheers for your suggestions guy. Didn't have any luck with it though. I borrowed a mates router and that worked fine, so I purchased myself a new router from a computer fair yesterday and it's working fine now.

Phil