cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Setting up VPN for home

barryg
Dabbler

Setting up VPN for home

I would like to set up my PC so I can access it from the office using VPN. I have the USR ADSL router and just wanted to know if this was possible. If so does anyone know how? Would I use the fixed IP address that plusnet provide?

Hope you can help

Regards

Adrian
4 REPLIES
N/A

RE: Setting up VPN for home

> I would like to set up my PC so I can access it from the office using VPN. I have the USR ADSL router and just wanted to know if this was possible. If so does anyone know how? Would I use the fixed IP address that plusnet provide?

Hi,

There are no restrictions on your connection itself that would prevent VPN usage - you may be advised to check with USR that their router supports this type of traffic forwarding however.

Regards,
Richard

--
| Richard Allen................Unmetered & ADSL solutions
| Technical Support.....................for Home & Business
| PlusNet Technologies Ltd.........@ http://www.plus.net
+ ----- My Referrals - It pays to recommend PlusNet -----
bluewhale
Grafter

It might be nice if plusnet could make it clear on you adsl help pages that some routers don't support VPN.

That way people like my self won't buy equipment that won't work...

In particular you need to look for the router either supporting VPN or IPsec passthrough or possibly port mapping using protocols other than UDP and TCP
--
kitz
Rising Star

> It might be nice if plusnet could make it clear on you adsl help pages that some routers don't support VPN.
>
> That way people like my self won't buy equipment that won't work...
>
-------------------

GOOD POINT ^^

Having just signed up for a router starter pack with plusnet

Does the router supplied by Plusnet support VPN?

kitz
Rising Star

Ooops just spotted the following in an older thread

The PCI and USB modems both work as a direct replacement for a standard modem, ie your machine is assigned real IP addresses and all services will work without further intervention.

The Solwise SAR110 router we supply supports IPSEC forwarding, so VPN protocols that use this will work fine.

However, as mentioned by the previous poster, it perhaps would be a good idea to mention this information on the main site, and also which make & model of router you provide.

Thanks Smiley